Question Details
Nasal Adenocarcinoma In A Dog
by alaska2mt - September 22, 2021    View Case Report
Dexter is a 10yr old English Springer Spaniel who was just diagnosed with nasal adenocarcinoma. Nosebleeds started 3 months ago and a rhinoscopy removed a visible tumor 3 weeks ago. The internist thought the entire tumor was removed but chemotherapy was recommended. . Owner is likely pursuing chemotherapy but would like to pursue alternative therapies as well.
On exam, Dexter is dog aggressive but people friendly, slippery pulse, lavender tongue. There are no other medical issues.
I recommended the dog be fed a home cooked, low carb diet and started Dexter on Turkey Tail to allow time to determine what herbal support would be recommended. Can you advise what else I can add? Thank you!
Replies
by naturevet
September 24, 2021
Hi there!

The timing of the problem and the pulse you're seeing suggest either Damp Heat or Blood + Wei Qi deficiency as the two most likely differentials. If the pulse seemed feeble and slippery, then I'd wonder about the latter. If it seemed kind of excess and slippery, I'd wonder about the former.

The problem is that they are kind of opposite conditions, meaning if we guess wrong, we've theoretically aggravated the problem. You'd have to monitor the tongue and especially the pulse every couple of weeks, to make sure you were on the right track.

As long as you're in a position to do that, and chemo is a ways off, then I'd try Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang first, and see if you can tackle the problem that way. I've used it before for nasal adenocarcinoma and it has promoted long term stability. It also helps protect against some of the adverse effects of chemo.

If in a couple of weeks, the pulse is more slippery and broader, then you could change courses and try a Damp Heat approach, maybe using something like Hoxsey-Like Combination. Meanwhile, watch for symptom changes as clues. If the dog seems less dog aggressive on BYHWT, it suggests you're on the right track. If that gets worse instead, or if new problems appear, it suggests BYHWT is the wrong way to go.

Hopefully that helps you out!

Steve
by alaska2mt
October 15, 2021
As you describe both constitutions, this dog seems to fit into the Damp Heat category so decided to start with the Hoxsey-Like Combination. The dog weighs 63 lbs. The bottle says 'serving size = 1ml'. The Natural Path book only discussed Liquid Extracts, not tinctures for dosing. What dosing is used for this tincture? Would the dose on the bottle be for any sized patient?

THANK YOU !!
Donna
by naturevet
October 15, 2021
Hi Donna,

Liquid extracts are tinctures, so you can use those dosing levels. Basically it's 0.2 ml/5 lbs BID. So, for this dog, 0.2 x 13 or so, or 2.6 ml a dose. Give BID

Hope that helps

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply