Question Details
Chronic Egg Laying In A Bird
by bunnydoc - October 20, 2021    View Case Report
We have a 20 year-old African Grey parrot that has decided to lay her first eggs. She required sedation and egg manipulation to retrieve each egg from the oviduct. I have talked to the owner about how to manipulate the environment and diet to reduce hormonal stimulation at home and hopefully prevent further egg laying. We also have the bird on lupron injections. The owner asked about holistic treatments to reduce the chance of this bird making more eggs. Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Leticia
Replies
by naturevet
October 20, 2021
Hi Leticia,

I framed this question as 'What herbs can interfere with estrogen?', on the assumption that if we can reduce reproductive hormone activity in the parrot, the egg laying will cease.

One approach is a plant called Xia Ku Cao (Self-Heal; Prunella). It has outright estrogen antagonizing effects, but is quite bitter. I guess if it could be given in a fruit paste or something, perhaps that might work

The second approach is to administer phytoestrogens, which are weaker plant-derived estrogens that can competitively inhibit the action of more potent bodily estrogen. A good formula studied for that effect is Si Wu Tang (Four Materials Combination). You could always use the two approaches together, I suppose, and hedge your bets!

Steve
by bunnydoc
October 21, 2021
Thanks, Steve! I will discuss it with the owner.

Leticia
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply