Question Details
Ringworm Treatment Options
by fdzenitsky - October 21, 2021
Hi Steve,

In a post from 2011, Sarah Harley asked, "Did I read somewhere that Xiao Yao San is good for these ringworm Yorkies, or is it something else?"

You replied, "It's a fine thing to try, especially if the coat is quite dry, the lesions are scaly, and relatively focal. If it's anything different, just give me a description of what you're seeing and I'll try to help out further."

In NVM manual, you write that Tx is according to presenting signs, low-grade lesions -> Blood tonifying formulas, excessive, purulent lesions -> Damp Heat formulas. That makes good sense to me. I am seeing a 4MO kitten tomorrow that I suspect has ringworm - multiple round alopecic areas on front legs, ear and face. They look flaky and are not pruritic.

My questions: Is XYS a good choice for this little guy (not sure what the ringworm Yorkie are like) or would you look to something like SWXFY, something else? I'll use a Wood's light and scope to check, but if not conclusive, a culture takes weeks. I would be okay to start treating w/ suspected Dx of ringworm? Recommend treating both kittens, one is not affected. Do you also treat topically and w/ what?

Thanks so much!
Franchesca
Replies
by naturevet
October 24, 2021
Hi Franchesca

Sorry I couldn't reply before today. Young animals are the most likely to be deficient in Qi and Blood, causing Ringworm. A 4 month old kitten likely hasn't had time to build up the metabolic derangements that cause 'toxins' (i.e. cytokines) that promote Damp Heat.

Since cats are notoriously Spleen Qi deficient, having something in there to tonify the Spleen Qi so it can make more Blood on its own is a good idea. XFS is thus a better pick than SWXFY.

You could also use simultaneously Yu Ping Feng San to bolster the cat's immunity and tonify its Wei Qi, while supporting its Spleen further. Wei Qi supports nourishment of the 'fine hairs' and would thus work synergistically with the Blood tonifying effects of XFS.

Hopefully this helps you out! Let us know how it goes!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply