Question Details
Bartonellosis In A Cat
by fdzenitsky - October 25, 2021    View Case Report
Hi Steve,

I originally posted this case 2/22/21 to get some feedback, but it posted as a case and not a case question. Can you refer back to that case or link with this post? Anyways, I finally diagnosed Orange Juice in August with 2 species of Bartonella after culturing the blood, amplifying the pathogens, and then running serology.

He has responded very well to 8 weeks of doxycycline and pradofloxacin (5 mg/kg PO q 12 hr. each, abx chosen based on spp. and symptoms, which included uveitis) and finished treatment 10 days ago. He is back to his old self except the cat still has blepharitis and thick rusty ocular discharge like jelly. I really don't want to continue abx therapy, but the only time the eyes got better was when I put him on 100mg of doxycycline SID back in May before I diagnosed him. This was double the dose given with the pradofloxacin. And, it helped, so I may go back to that dose for a bit longer. BUT, I feel this cat needs some herbal clean up. Full blown bartonellosis is a SYD issues, correct? Do you think using XCHT and SRT in tandem would be a good choice or do I consider a Wind Heat Invasion formula? Would you continue with higher dose doxy as well?

Thanks again!
Franchesca
Replies
by naturevet
October 26, 2021
Hi Franchesca

I put that link in place.

I like your idea of trying XCHT first. It fits the Blood level pathogen (which in the 18th century became considered by some authors as tantamount to a Shao Yang pathogen); the uveitis; the pains that he had; and the blepharitis. I would try it first, adding SRT if Dampness appears in some other form

Hopefully this helps. XCHT is very compatible with doxycycline. The cat has shown tolerance to Blood tonics, too, so add in something like Si Wu Tang if low grade anemia persists

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply