Question Details
Obesity In A Cat
by johnnalsmith - October 27, 2021    View Case Report
Hi everyone,

Need a little help with this one. Meike is an 11 year old, FS, domestic long hair cat that is battling obesity since 2019. She is 15.5 pounds and should be 13.5 pounds. She's had yearly blood work that is unremarkable, but continued to gain weight despite cutting calories. Her primary vet tried rx weight loss diets, but Meike continued to gain weight. She has a strong appetite, a tendency towards loose stools on certain kibbles, prefers cool temperature and will pant if too warm, dental cleanings required yearly, coat is a bit oily with dander. Will vomit if eats raw diet.

Current diet is: Soulistic canned food original recipe, Honest Kitchen freeze dried fruits/veggies 1tbsp/1-3oz can, 1 scoop dry food, herb, 1/8 tsp dried blueberry, 1/8 barley grass juice powder, l-lysine powder twice daily, which is about 240 calories daily.

Her tongue is pink and wet. Pulse is full, almost slippery with tone.

I have her on 1 tablet of Kan Four Marvels (Si miao san) twice daily for SP def with dampness. She hasn't lost any weight in the first two months of being on the SMS.

I have discussed home cooking with the owner, but she is not able to do that. Any thoughts as far as herbs or other commercially available diets?

Thank you!
Replies
by naturevet
October 28, 2021
Hi there!

The owner might try switching to freeze-dried foods like Feline Natural. It's very palatable and doesn't need to be reconstituted. It can just be poured in the dish like dry. She will need to watch portion size if she doesn't reconstitute it, though.

As for herbs, you could consider a switch to San Ren Tang. I agree with your general assessment of Spleen deficiency with Dampness. SRT may well have more of an insulin sensitizing effect for cats, helping to counter the metabolic derangements from canned and kibble diets. SMS does, too, but expends a lot of effort countering inflammation. If we primarily need a metabolic effect, SRT may fit the bill better. Note, though, that no herbs will work particularly well without a diet change. With a diet change, improvements should be significant

Hope that helps!

Steve
by johnnalsmith
October 28, 2021
Thank you Steve! I'll pass along this information to the owner and keep you updated!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply