Question Details
Congenital Orthopedic Malformation In A Dog
by johnnalsmith - October 29, 2021    View Case Report
George is an 8 month old, male neutered, pitbull mix that presented for severe congenital orthopedic malformations. His humerus, ulna and radius are severely malformed causing almost severe elbow misalignment. His right coxofemoral joint is also moderately dysplastic. His primary vet thinks he may also have torn or partially torn CCL due to laxity in his stifles bilaterally. Other than this, he's pretty normal. He's getting weekly underwater treadmill therapy currently.
I am starting him on Epimedium from Jing Tang to help with Jing. Is there something that I should/could put him on that could help slow the degeneration in his joints? He is showing signs of arthritis in his elbows already. I was thinking Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin just simply because of the blood moving properties and how bad his joints are.
Thank you!
T= pink, lavender
P= full (hard to feel because he's a bouncy puppy)
Replies
by naturevet
November 2, 2021
Hi there,

If the Epimedium doesn't materially help, you'll need to use a moving formula instead. The involvement of the cruciate ligaments and hip joint suggest Minor Bupleurum with added Qin Jiao (i.e. Benefit Hips and Knees) should be used. It may help with the forelimbs, too. Alternatively, or in addition, you could look at Xiao Huo Luo Dan for them. This approach should particularly be used for the forelimbs if growth plates are not yet fully closed, since inflammation in the growth plates causes their premature closure, thus aggravating deformities, and the two formulas mentioned here are anti-inflammatory

I find tonics like Epimedium (or in my clinic, You Gui Wan) are only appropriate and helpful once any inflammation (often signaled by the presence of pain) has been fully resolved.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Steve
by johnnalsmith
November 15, 2021
Excellent! Thank you Steve!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply