Question Details
Chronic Pyoderma In A Dog
by kderfuss - November 14, 2021    View Case Report
Good afternoon Steve,
Hope all is well. I have a new patient, 6 year old, M/C Great Dane 175# with chronic deep cocci pododermatitis, allergic dermatitis (mainly dust & storage mites), occasional waxy ears. I think he wants to become hypothyroid - Michigan panel has some abnormalities that point in that direction.
I can barely find a pulse on this pony! Really deep, thin. Tongue not the usual giant Dane tongue, pink. He usually feels warm and is heat intolerant. Always improves on Cefa antibiotics (cefpodoxime from me).
Yin deficient, probably Blood deficient. I had started him on cooling foods and his body temperature has already improved.
I am thinking Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin or Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin. I would say there is some damp when the pododermatitis is active, did not smell or feel greasy when I saw him last week and ears were clean.
Thank you!
Karin
Replies
by naturevet
November 17, 2021
Hi Karin,

It does sound from your pulse description, his age, and the very peripheral location of the lesions that he just doesn't have the circulatory oomph to control the bacteria in his feet, probably due to Blood deficiency, but also perhaps an associated Wei Qi deficiency.

Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin seems a safe place to start. If it is sort of helpful, but not enough, then you could roll in the Wei Qi tonic. The risk in starting with a Wei Qi tonic now is that it may spark an increase in inflammation if the dog is not in fact Wei Qi deficient, so starting with just a Blood tonic is a better choice for testing whether the dog will benefit from tonics. Wei Qi tonifying skin formulas include Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang and Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang.

If the dog is Damp, another option for your Blood tonic is Xiao Yao San. It doesn't have the antibacterial effects, but is less likely to aggravate Damp.

Hopefully this helps you out. Let us know how it goes and if you need more help!

Steve
by kderfuss
November 17, 2021
Thank you Steve!
I'll call the owner tomorrow. Some days I think I understand then I sit down and get totally confused. You are my hero.
Karin
by naturevet
November 17, 2021
Only if the advice works! Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin is not a bad choice, too, but has no tonifying effects. it's the safest thing to try, though, if you're worried about fanning the flames of inflammation, and it can be helpful in dogs with a thin pulse. So, my other comments notwithstanding, that is a safe way to get started.

See? All I did was confirm what you already were wondering. If you're confused, then we are confused together!

Steve
by kderfuss
December 1, 2021
It's really helpful and encouraging to be able to discuss cases with you.
Many thanks,
Confused together - love it.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply