Question Details
Possible Splenic Hemangiosarcoma In A Dog
by lpshiner - December 2, 2021    View Case Report
Hello wise ones,
Patient is a M(n) Lab, approx 9 years old who presented to the regular vet mid November with hemoabdomen. He had had vague signs prior. Ultrasound reported "cavitated mass" and blood in abdomen. Exploratory lap did not find a main tumor- surgeon reported "free blood and small pieces of tissue" in the abdomen but could not find the source. Planned splenectomy was aborted bc spleen (and all other organs) "looked normal". Post op CBC showed improvements in platelet counts(normal) and Hct improving with a strong regenerative response . Routine tick panel was negative for the S. Texas basics. Had heart worms as a young dog but recovered well. Chest rads showed maybe a slight overall heart enlargement but pretty normal for age. Riley recovered well from surgery and was presented to me for an herbal consult yesterday. I believe he is on Yunnan Bai Yao already. Tongue was pale, gums slightly pale (owner felt that they were more pale than previously). Pulse was normal rate and rhythm, even on both sides, notably wide and toned at superficial level but quite empty deep. Discussed the remote possibility of autoimmune ds but there are no other symptoms and the presentation leans more towards neoplasia. Cytology of the tissue was essentially mesenchymal cells (possibly reactive fibroblasts ) with differentials listed ranging from scar tissue/bleeding to spindle cell neoplasia or other neoplasia. HSA is still at the top of our list. Any reason to not use the HSA protocol on this guy? Regular vet is repeating CBC today due to concern for recurrence of bleeding, and prescribed prednisone 20 mg BID and doxycycline- owner reports dog feels better already. He is also taking IP-6 and turkey tail, and they have ordered Agaricus blazei at my suggestion.
Thank you for any input on this confusing one!
Lynn Shiner DVM
Replies
by naturevet
December 2, 2021
Hi Lynn,

That pulse is pretty typical for dogs benefiting from the HSA protocol. I'd jump right into it. I'm guessing there is a tumor somewhere. Nice that it is apparently so small as to be not detectable. Sometimes the HSA protocol is curative where tumors are small, but the owners should still plan on prolonged use in order to be sure

Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by lpshiner
December 3, 2021
Thank you, Steve! The pulse is what I wanted confirmation on, so good to know! Will keep you posted.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply