Question Details
ALT Increasing On Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang
by kderfuss - January 11, 2022
Hello Steve,
I have a relatively new patient, acu & herbal, doing very well, but her ALT is now 199, had been 40 or so in previous years. Could the Du Huo cause this? I did not find anything in the literature. Thank you!
Replies
by naturevet
January 13, 2022
Hi Karin,

Because DHJST is a tonic, it can raise liver enzyme levels in animals that have latent tendencies to hepatic congestion. So it's not a side effect, but tells you something about the liver in that patient.

I guess I would check them out to see if they have a Shao Yang aspect to their case, such as a full 'wiry' mid-depth pulse and keynote symptoms like a tendency to hip dysplasia or CCL tears. In that case, I'd try Xiao Chai Hu Tang. If they develop Damp symptoms, then I'd look at Si Miao San.

If they are a disc dog, but have Shao Yang tendencies as described above, you can start them on 100g Xiao Chai Hu Tang with 12g Gui Zhi and 15g Bai Shao added. That should address both the disc and the liver

If none of that is making sense relative to what you're seeing in your patient, feel free to share more details

Steve
by kderfuss
January 15, 2022
Hi Steve,
Thank you. Pulse is not and has not been wiry but is full and somewhat difficult to suppress. Did not think about the tonic component. Dog has disc issues at several cervical locations, and T9-10. Dog responded to acupuncture within 2 visits.
You know, she is getting a little more feisty recently probably the Liver being unhappy. I'll discontinue the Du Huo.
As always, thank you.
Karin
by kderfuss
January 15, 2022
Hi Steve,
Thank you. Pulse is not and has not been wiry but is full and somewhat difficult to suppress. Did not think about the tonic component. Dog has disc issues at several cervical locations, and T9-10. Dog responded to acupuncture within 2 visits.
You know, she is getting a little more feisty recently probably the Liver being unhappy. I'll discontinue the Du Huo.
As always, thank you.
Karin
by naturevet
January 15, 2022
Hi again,

That pulse can be indicative of a Shao Yang disharmony. If the points that helped the dog included BL 19 or GB points, then XCHT may still be a good fit. Or you can just see what discontinuing the DHJST and continuing acupuncture brings

Steve
by kderfuss
January 15, 2022
Thank you! I'll discuss with the family.
Karin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply