Question Details
Herbal Impact On Blood Pressure
by drwells - March 3, 2022
I have a renal dysplasia 6 month old who is on Liu Jun Zu Tang(Natural Path) and Epimedium formula (JT). Does any one know if any specific ingredients in either of these formulas would increase blood pressure. This patient's pressure has been stable and now is about 40 points higher. Any experience in this matter would be appreciated.
Dr. Hannah Wells
Replies
by naturevet
March 3, 2022
Hi there,

It's possible the Gan Cao in LJZT is contributing to the rise in blood pressure, but should not be, if the Kidney tonics are doing their job properly. In other words, the hypertension is not so much evidence of an adverse event, but an incomplete effect.

Normally Rehmannia reduces renal and systemic hypertension through multiple mechanisms, but it looks like the renal blood flow effects of Epimedium Formula are too weak, possibly because Rehmannia is only a minor player in the formula. I'd suggest going with Rehmannia Eight, where the percentage of Rehmannia is much higher and would be expected to reduce hypertension more easily, possibly even allowing use of some Six Gentlemen. Note, though, that Rehmannia Eight tonifies Source Qi, which the Spleen can then utilize to power digestion. Specific Spleen tonics are not often necessary in these cases, then, but the Fu Ling and Shan Yao in Rehmannia Eight safely support healthy digestion all the same

Hope that helps

Steve
by drwells
March 5, 2022
Hi Steve:
I initially avoided Rehmannia Eight in this case as it was not clear that this patient did not also have acute urinary or renal infection. He was hospitalized only two weeks ago for a dramatic increase in BUN and creat and clinically sick. I thought that Rhemannia used be used with caution in cases of acute renal disease. In addition, this young patient is quite hot (Fire dog) . So I was concerned about using Rehmannia in this acute situation. He does seem to have stabilized at this time so I will consider the Rehmannia eight again.
Thanks so much
by drwells
March 5, 2022
Hi Steve:
I initially avoided Rehmannia Eight in this case as it was not clear that this patient did not also have acute urinary or renal infection. He was hospitalized only two weeks ago for a dramatic increase in BUN and creat and clinically sick. I thought that Rhemannia used be used with caution in cases of acute renal disease. In addition, this young patient is quite hot (Fire dog) . So I was concerned about using Rehmannia in this acute situation. He does seem to have stabilized at this time so I will consider the Rehmannia eight again.
Thanks so much
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply