Question Details
Cutaneous Melanoma In A Dog
by ajerger - March 11, 2022    View Case Report
Mass Is Enlarging: TCM exam findings and Interpretation:

1. Flakey coat: Blood deficiency
2. Dry/ Dull coat: Blood deficiency
3. Spleen Qi Deficiency: secondary to poor diet (kibble)
4. Qi stagnation secondary to blood deficiency and the liver’s inability to regulate qi circulation
5. Pink/lavender tongue: Blood stasis
6. Toned pulses: Blood/Qi stasis/stagnation

TCM diagnosis:
* Damp Heat
* Phlegm accumulation
* Spleen qi deficiency
* Blood stasis
* Blood Deficiency
* Qi stasis/stagnation

Treatment goals and strategy:
* Diet has been changed to a wholesome raw diet
* Many immune boosting supplements have been added
* Clear Damp
* Improve Blood flow
* Regulate Qi
* Remove Phlegm
* Improve immune function

Acupuncture prescription
* LI 11
* LI 10:
* ST36:
* LI4:
* SP 10:
* BL 17:
* ST 45:
* BL12:
* BL13:
* LV 2:
* BL 60:
* ST 40
* KI 3:
* SP 6
* CV12
Herbs: Shen Tang Zhu Yu Tang, Bloods Palace
What else can be done to slow progression of the mass and manage pain effectively? The mass is enlarging and bleeding
Replies
by mnewk
April 5, 2022
You could try ozone injections into the mass and ozone oil topically
Mark Newkirk
by naturevet
April 7, 2022
Hi there,

I'm not really seeing the indications of Damnpness and Phlegm. Masses can be just from Blood stasis. Think of 'piled up Blood'.

I don't usually have a lengthy pre-determined point prescription either, but just go with whatever changes the pulse for the better. I then interpret those points to determine what action my formula should have.

From the symptom and sign descriptions, I agree that you're looking at least in part at Blood deficiency. We've probably had the most success with Modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang when tackling melanomas secondary to Blood deficiency.

If the pulse was very strong, broad and toned, then I would add in Xiao Chai Hu Tang, and use the two formulas together. Both are available from A Time to Heal Herbs.

If the pulse was fine and toned, and you wanted to add in something that boosts an immune response, you could look at using Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang with the mXFZYT.

Any chance for use of a melanoma vaccine in this dog? If so, and if it helped, then for sure some Astragalus-laden formula like BZYQT or Bu Yang Huan Wu Tang would be considerations

Hope that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply