Question Details
ACL Tear And Chronic Skin Issues In A Dog
by LJH - March 12, 2022    View Case Report
Hi Steve,
8 year old F(S) shepherd cross who came to me a year ago with a history of skin problems and separation anxiety/ mild aggression issues that started when she was only a year old. She was from a litter abandoned by the side of the road, separated from her siblings 2 days later when adopted, and very tightly bonded to the female owner, nervous and slightly aggressive towards the husband. She was constantly keeping an eye on where her owner was and following her around. Fine if the owner is away from home, but can pull out a large patch of hair, and chew until skin is bleeding in only a few minutes if owner is home and she can’t get to her. She was getting irritable and would snap at the other 2 dogs if they crowded her. She had been on Prozac long term , on Vanectyl P for suspected allergic dermatitis until she developed a gastric ulcer then changed to Apoquel which helped some at first. The dog would still chew and scratch, often pulling out patches of hair on all 4 of her legs, hips, flank and hind quarters. The skin looked dry with smaller flake dandruff/ scales but not reddened, and only scabs if she got a good chance to chew at an area. Ears and anal glands hadn’t been a problem, she didn’t dream or snore much and could be a bit picky about food eating better in the morning than evening. Black haircoat had a red tinge. She liked to lie in the sun, a bit heat seeking overall. She did have a bit of mucous in medial can thus of both eyes.All bloodwork normal. Tongue slightly pale pink, lateral edges maybe sl. pinker, moist, sl flabby. Pulse moderate strength, not really in, a bit wiry/ slippery. Improved with GB points.
I felt there was some actual pruritis/ possibly allergic dermatitis but a lot of contribution from anxiety with Liver Blood deficiency. Wondered if a bit of Damp lurking though or Shao Yang issue. I had owner start Green Hope Farms Abandonment and Neglect flower essences, recommended a diet change to higher protein, low carb,home cooked or commercial raw and started Si Wu Xiao Feng Yin and Nettles tincture as needed. Huge difference in attitude to owners husband, seeking petting, no more aggression. Able to gradually wean off Prozac.Improved itch and haircoat looked great. Owner was not able to home cook and not interested in frozen or freeze dried/ dehydrated raw.
More Damp/ Damp Heat emerged going into our very hot humid summer and changed to Chu Shi Wei Ling Tang then added a bit of Si Miao San. Haircoat would sometimes get quite greasy feeling which a little SMS resolved and dog did well. Late Dec/early Jan. dog started chewing again. Hair itself drier but greasy feeling. Tongue sl pale pink to pink, moist, sl lavender tinge. Pulse weaker, deep, different times sl wiry or slippery. Now dog has partial ACL tear after a slip on ice when running, and itch has flared up dramatically so owner has had to put a cone on her after she pulled large patches of hair off both flanks, and end of tail as well as one hip. Scratches ventral thorax and backs of front legs. Nettles doesn’t help. Hair itself dry but coat feels greasy. Skin not reddened but feels hotter, some areas dry but large flake dandruff over hind quarters and front of chest. Pulse is still sl weak but improved and less deep, sl. wiry/ sometimes a bit slippery. I have started XCHJQJT and acupuncture but wonder how to now better address the mix of Blood deficiency and Damp that has shown up again, and the now quite intense itch. I am sure wearing a cone is only increasing a sense of anxiety/ frustration. I have wondered if Qing Ying Tang is a consideration though the pulse while sometimes toned is sl weak and tongue can be sl pale pink not red/ purple red. Xiao Yao San or Dang Gui Shao Yao San seem a possibility for the anxiety/ behavioural component but how about the skin. Is the dry hair reflecting Yin being damaged by Heat. More Si Miao San not less, though the pulse seems to suggest needs dispersing. Owner now willing to try a freeze dried/ dehydrated raw diet.Any thoughts that you might have would be much appreciated as I find myself going in circles. Many thanks again, Llewanda
Replies
by naturevet
March 14, 2022
Hi Llewanda,

Since you had good results with both SMS and Blood tonics, you could just try adding 20g Dang Gui to 100g Si Miao San, and then seeing if that combination captures everything.

Otherwise, if XCHTJQJT has aided the knee, you could just start Si Wu Tang and use the two together. This way, you will have tried Chai Hu Si Wu Tang. Note that some of these CHSWT dogs can appear quite greasy

I'm glad the owner is willing to change up the diet. That should help a lot regardless which direction you decide to try first

Hope this helps

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply