Question Details
Chronic Otitis Externa In A Dog
by CorinneC - March 31, 2022    View Case Report
So....I forgot this program sometimes errors out if I;m typing too long and I just lost a giant bunch of info so now I will keep it brief for you:

Honey, 11yo FS Lab Retriever

After her initial vaccines as a pup July 2010 Honey because allergic - ears and feet the worst. Ears have always flared up red, intensely itchy, and sore, with dark brown thick exudate.

She was put on many different limited ingredient diets, Z/d, d/d, etc etc to no avail. She has been on and off Surlan and eventually Mometamax most of her life. She went to a dermatologist who prescribed: Clindamycin, Atopica, Revolution, Ketoconazole, Malacetic shampoo, AND Pred!!! O wouldn't try Atopica or CLindamycin, but tried the rest. No real improvement. So many trials of Pred and ear meds...flash forward to Apoquel in May 2017 - helped but did not quell the pruritus or feet issues. From June 2020 to July 2021 I met her and tried SWXFY (still itchy, on half kibble/half homemade diet, Apoquel SID), XCHT + SWT (same diet and Apoquel, lethargic, increased licking, ears/eyes goopy), and SMS (Acana and homemade, Apoquel, no change). Presently we are really struggling. She finally sqitched to raw diet Jan 2022. I have her on Baytril topically AD and PO. She has a tendancey to stop on walks and lie down, occasional RH lameness but NSF on exam. Her tongue is pink, moist, normal-looking; pulses are of decent tone.

PLEASE HELP THIS POOR DOG!!! I so want her to be ear infection free!!!

Corinne
Replies
by naturevet
April 1, 2022
Hi Corinne,

Sorry your computer timed out on you. The website itself should never log you out if you've selected 'Remember Me' on your log in. One thing you can do as well is compose everything in a Word processor program, then cut and paste into the 'Reply' portion of the form

For this dog, one thing that springs to mind is Qing Ying Tang, since it addresses severe itch and goes with a toned pulse and fits the post-vaccine-immune-mediated flavour of the case. A worsening or recurrence on straight raw with no kibble on board (such as apparently occurred lately?) suggests an immune dysregulation issue as well. Since you've already tried CHSWT, QYT is the next consideration if that is really what is wrong

Hope that somehow helps!

Steve
by CorinneC
April 2, 2022
Tank you so much as always Dr. Marsden! Oh to have your brain on these chronic confusing cases!! She has started QYT today :)
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply