Question Details
Polyuria / Polydipsia In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - April 21, 2022    View Case Report
Lola is a 9 yr old FS greyhound who suddenly in early February began drinking and peeing a lot. Regular vet did blood work, UA, could find no particular abnormalities other than mild proteinuria. Treated as cystitis "just in case", but there was no change. No other symptoms-- good energy, strong appetite. Next step for conventional vet was abdominal U/S and glucose deprivation test. Her pulse was very strong and full, tongue possibly a little on the red side. But does not behave cool-seeking in any way. She has history of noise reactivity, so I was considering putting her on XYS, but did not really have any valuable thoughts on the PU/PD.

Just was at the CIVT renal seminar and I felt like for every new variety of renal symptom *this* must be Lola's problem. The signs did come on during the spring SY transition, and now in April, owner thinks it's about 50% better than at its worst. So maybe beginning of a Shao Yang problem? But no azotemia currently. Or is she an R6 case with KI yin def that just has not progressed yet to clinpath levels? I have not seen the bloodwork myself, only had client report, so I need to find out whether they did a urine P/C ratio.

Would you treat a case as renal with the only symptoms being PU/PD and mild proteinuria?
Replies
by naturevet
April 23, 2022
Hi Karen,

The only way to determine whether proteinuria is mild is through a UPC ratio. Meanwhile, the strong pulse, spring onset, and lack of response to antibiotics would suggest to me a Shao Yang disorder calling for Minor Bupleurum. As long as the owners would commit to regular follow up every ten days to two weeks (max) with lab work, that's probably safe to try. If it didn't work or things got worse in the lab work somehow you could try Rehmannia 6 or something. Then you'd retest after making that change to make sure Rehmannia was the answer. If not, you'd have to rule out Damp Heat as a cause

Hope that helps

Steve
by equinesportsmed
April 23, 2022
Thanks! That was the direction I was leaning.
by equinesportsmed
April 23, 2022
Thanks! That was the direction I was leaning.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply