Question Details
Recurrent Corneal Ulcers
by kderfuss - May 4, 2022
Good afternoon,
I seem to be finding answers for everything eye except chronic corneal ulcers. The eyes are the window to the Liver but I cannot find any notes about corneal ulcers and herbal choices except one notation in my Chi notes about Heat.
This ShihTzu is definitely not a Liver dog, more Earth. Pulses moderate. Had vestibular many years ago and still has a slight head tilt.
Thank you!
Karin
Replies
by naturevet
May 6, 2022
Hi there,

Corneal ulcers can be due Liver Blood and Yin deficiency, causing vulnerability to Wind Heat invasion. There are a few options.

If you have Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang, you can try that, since it helps improve circulation to the eye, tonifies Liver Blood and moves Qi. This worked for me in a Shih Tzu with corneal ulcers due to deficient tear production.

The head tilt suggests, however, more of a Yin deficiency. In that case I'd get Rehmannia Six (Liu Wei Di Huang Wan) and add 12g Gou Qi Zi and 15 Ju Hua. If you don't have LWDHW, but have Yi Guan Jian, you can use that as the base for your formula instead.

The other possibility behind corneal issues is a Shao Yang disharmony, especially if it is not just an ulcer, but keratitis (with corneal tissue accumulations and opacities). In that case, I would start with Xiao Chai Hu Tang. Shao Yang disharmonies can also cause vestibular disease

One of those should help.

Steve
by kderfuss
May 6, 2022
Thank you Steve!
I always learn so much from you. I appreciate your help. Have a good weekend.
Karin
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply