Question Details
Chronic IBD In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - May 11, 2022    View Case Report
I am working up a long term GI case, which may be IBD or IBS, since for most of recent years, episode triggers appeared to be stress. Unfortunately, they live 2 hours away, and traveling is one of the dog's triggers, so I am doing this as a distance consult until a more compelling reason arises for me to drive to Rochester (like performing a fecal transplant). So no good data on pulse or tongue. This dog's pattern is always the same-- stops eating for a few days, then begins vomiting, then has diarrhea. She has been on pred on and off for years and years, to the point of iatrogenic Cushings symptoms. Negative for Addisons, internists say small bowel foci, with accompanying B12/folate insufficiency. Nothing exciting on abdominal U/S. Has tried 5 different hydrolyzed protein diets. Nothing works long term. Previously, travel was main trigger, but in past year, has had episodes with no travel. They bounce between Pred, Cerenia, Metronidazole and diet change all year long, and has since she came to them at 8 weeks.

I am trying to decide whether to start with Wei Ling Tang or Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang. Can't remember whether response to prednisone is a sign of damp or a sign that damp is not an issue!! I remember reading that pred creates dampness (as in Cushings is a damp condition), so if dog responds positively to pred, the initiating cause is not damp. Does that logic sound right? WLT covers all the GI signs and addresses dampness. But this dog is also super anxious-- has been since pup. Bu Zhong would help that more, but misses the upper GI signs.

Interestingly, when I review her vet visit history, her episodes tend to be in Shao Yang seasons, which I can't make any sense of in terms of the whole picture-- early fall and early spring. Of course the record may be misleading-- she may have been on pred in May-July, and problems only arose when they weaned her down. Any thoughts?
Replies
by naturevet
May 31, 2022
Hi there,

Sorry, for the delayed reply, but I wasn't alerted to your case. I'm having that looked into.

The periodicity does sound like a bug periodically flares up that is latent in the system and creates a bout of gastroenteritis. Stress can be a precipitating factor, especially in Qi deficient animals. Of course, the problem may be entrenched enough now that stress is no longer required.

The periodicity and deep pathogen invasion (if present) does sound like Shao Yang disharmony, and it can cause GI (i.e. Yang Ming disease) such as IBD, even in young animals. There is a new product they can purchase online called Adoptrex that I'm familiar with. Otherwise, you can try the dog on Xiao Chai Hu Tang.

A very young animal with this issue is usually Qi deficient, and you're right to think of BZYQT first. It does actually quell nausea as part of its design, so it has a bit of an upper GI effect. You could hedge your bets and use both together, as they do pair well.

Hopefully this helps you out. Let me know how it goes!

Steve
by equinesportsmed
May 31, 2022
Hi Steve, thanks for your comments. This dog is around 7-8 years old, not super young, and she's been like this since she was a pup, but progressively worse with stress and travel. As it turns out I just got an update today. The owner has been going very slowly, since she's so sensitive, and has not even started the BZYQT or XCHT yet. I had mixed her up some homotox symptom remedies for vomiting and for diarrhea, and somehow owner has been giving those daily instead of PRN. Says the dog is doing okay, but she still struggle with appetite... has to hand feed her. I had also suggested trying some flower essences, and she has very slowly experimented with those. I instructed her to give BZ in the morning and XCHT in the evening. I passed on the Adoptrex recommendation and encouraged her to start the herbs, so I guess I'll have to wait and see.
by equinesportsmed
September 22, 2022
Update on Sadie: she has been on a regimen of BZYQT mornings and XCHT nights since June and owner reports she has stabilized a lot. They even were able to bring her on a family vacation-- previously a sure trigger for an IBD episode-- and have her be fairly normal. She still needs a bit of coaxing to eat, but compared to before, it's so much better. She is also taking the Plena Curae CBG formula I gave you a bottle of last week for both appetite stim and IBD effects. Should she stay on these herbs forever, or until she seems *normal*? (She takes the Kan tinctures because liquid is the only sure way she can get anything into the dog).
by equinesportsmed
December 21, 2022
Heard from Sadie's people today... they have been continuing on the Bu Zhong and XCHT, but running low and wondering if we wanted to go ahead and wean her off the herbs. She is still doing fairly well compared with previously, but her appetite and GI stability issues seem to be worse in cold damp weather, like we have been having the past few weeks. From Melissa: "She seems to not eat as well when it is cold or damp (GI - wise). By doing OK she has not been throwing up very often. However, her anxiety has been higher and she has been growling at my toddler when she walks around the house at times and she gets all nervous when my toddler plays (runs around). Her lip quivers and I am not sure why she is growling and more aggressive now." This is a case from a couple hours away, and traveling has been one of her issues. So I haven't assessed pulse. I have asked her to report back to me on tongue color when she gets home. I am thinking the morning lack of appetite and the anxiety/irritability suggest she still would benefit from Bu Zhong or another Qi tonic. Owner reports the CBG seems to help with appetite and mood. Any other suggestions?
by naturevet
December 21, 2022
Yes, I would continue the BZYQT. She should be evaluated for painful areas, since pain can invoke that kind of response in an older dog around younger or more vigorous dogs and children.

Note that cold worse weather is a natural feature of Jue Yin. BZYQT is a Jue Yin formula, so it may be a matter of just giving her more of it. Or doubling the dose and focusing exclusively on it over the solstice.

Lastly, if she is irritable, you could try changing out XCHT for XYS and continuing the BZYQT. That might help the GI as well as the temperament
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply