Question Details
When To Start Herbs For Indolent (low Grade) Small Cell, B Cell Lymphoma
by Dr. Krisi Erwin - June 7, 2022
Hello!

We have a patient we see for rehab and laser therapy- he is a 10 yo MN yorkie mix. He has recently been on antibiotic treatment for meningitis that caused severe neck pain. During the course of treatment, he developed submandibular and pre scapular lymphadenopathy. We sent him to the rDVM for work up and he was diagnosed with indolent B cell lymphoma. Oncology is currently recommending to monitor him monthly and not deploy chemo until he clinically changes. He is almost done his antibiotics in a few days and rechecks with near this week.

My question is, when to deploy herbs? I would assume the sooner the better to give them more time to work? He does have a rounded belly, swollen lavender pink tongue, soft, deep pulses. He is otherwise not terribly hot, panting a lot or anything like that. I am wondering about Si Miao San for him. I do not see him for acupuncture- he primarily sees our rehab technician for laser therapy and massage. So I did not feel for active points or response to needling at all today.

I would appreciate any insight about starting- I am hoping that this will give us a better window to treat him! Thank you!
Replies
by naturevet
June 10, 2022
Hi Krisi,

Yes, I agree. No reason not to start herbs if chemo is being delayed

The meningitis and lymphadenopathy make me think of a Shao Yang disorder, and thus Minor Bupleurum. Maybe try massaging GB 34? If the pulse strengthens, then I'd give it a try, or the LSA formula that I think A Time to Heal/Erin Bannink are using, which is a spin on Minor Buplerum.

Having said that, though, if the round belly, weak pulse and swollen tongue have you thinking Spleen deficiency and Damp, then I'd try Tan Yu Tang.

It may be that once he comes off antibiotics, he might get 'hotter' and more 'excess' looking. A re-evaluation then would be a good idea. Meanwhile, he is right now best fits Tan Yu Tang

Steve
by Dr. Krisi Erwin
June 21, 2022
Thanks a million for your thoughtful response!! He will see our rehab technician soon and I believe he will be off antibiotics at that time. I will reassess and see what to do. If he has the gift of time for the herbs to work their mojo, I don't really want him to miss the opportunity for them to help. Please be well!!!

Sincerely,
Krisi
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply