Question Details
Hind End Weakness In A Cat
by CorinneC - July 10, 2022    View Case Report
Hi Steve,

Pickles is my FS 2.5yo DMH cat. She was a rescue that I instantly fell for but definitely a runt. Came tiny (compared to her huge brother Beans, “bag-o-puddin”), with liquid smelly diarrhea (on TMPS for 3 weeks and I got her at 8 weeks!). I put them both on HXZQS and a bit of WLT. Diarrhea eventually cleared with the addition of raw diet as well. However she developed uveitis soon after. This actually resolved in its own in a couple weeks with Maxidex.

I waited until 1yo to spay as she just never really filled out. Always thin. Spunky though. Got to experience a couple of fun heats too!

This year she has cycled through periods of bilateral epiphora, no apparent uveitis though. But during these episodes she is lethargic, fussy with food, and occasionally hides out in the attic. One month ago she had a left-sided head tilt and weakness and stumbling to the left side. I tried to take her in to work for bloodwork but she became horribly fractious! Brought her home and she rallied within 2 days. BTN for 2 weeks, then yesterday epiphora, hiding out, sleeping all day. Her tongue is pale pink. Pulses seems deficient. Problem with Pickles is hiding anything in food puts her off food and I can’t afford that. Wondering about trying Calm Repose liquid but I want the experts opinion before I try anything.

She is FELV / FIV negative but I haven’t been able to get blood to rule out Toxo, etc. Her general blood panel at 1yo is as WNL.
Replies
by naturevet
July 11, 2022
Hi Corinne! Sorry to hear Pickles is in a pickle! Hopefully I can provide some useful advice

Whenever I hear of uveitis and neurological symptoms occurring simultaneously, it makes me think of Shao Yang disharmony - that is, a deeply penetrated pathogen of some type. I know we'd expect a strong pulse to go along with that, but maybe the small stature is getting in the way of that.

Something that should be harmless to try is to make a homeopathic version of Benefit Hips and Knees, Open the Canals of the Liver, or Harmonize the Qi (all Kan Essentials products), and see if that helps. You do that by taking about a ml of whatever one you choose, adding it to 50ml of spring water, and then succussing it about 200 times against a resilient surface like a soft covered catalog. Store it in the fridge and succuss it ten times against your palm before drawing up a dose. Give about 1 ml twice or three times daily. It will be pretty watery and tasteless, and you're just trying to get her mouth wet with it, so it should be easy. This sort of 'drop dose' or homeopathic preparation worked well for me with my cat so it's worth a try with yours!

Please let us know how it works out!

Steve
by CorinneC
July 11, 2022
Thank you for the rapid response and advice! I truly appreciate your help! I will try this out and let you know. This makes sense now that I have an outside perspective.
Thanks again,
Corinne
by CorinneC
July 11, 2022
Thank you for the rapid response and advice! I truly appreciate your help! I will try this out and let you know. This makes sense now that I have an outside perspective.
Thanks again,
Corinne
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply