Question Details
IMHA In A Cat
by smedcroft - November 16, 2022    View Case Report
Good morning Dr Steve
I have not yet seen this cat but she went to the ER 5 days ago with a PCV of 12. After an extensive work up by the ER, internal medicine and Cardiology she was diagnosed with IMHA. She has had 2 pRBC transfusions and is in prednisone (dose unknown)
I don’t have tongue and pulse info but do know that she has been feisty in the hospital and has needed transfusions.
I have recommended using herbs and was planning to start her on CHJLGMLT . I was just looking for confirmation on this and any additional support for her.
Thanks for any help on this one
Replies
by naturevet
November 16, 2022
Hi Stephanie!

Cats are a little more all over the map regarding hemolytic anemia. Since we know she is reliant on transfusions, it would be wise to use something that stimulates the bone marrow. At the same time we need something calming (i.e., Yang internalizing) and something that arrests RBC phagocytosis (on the assumption this is not intravascular hemolysis). All of that makes me think of Qing Ying Tang. No problem to use CHJLGMLT as well, though.

The only thing that gives me pause is that sometimes hemolytic cats present as pure deficiency cases, so a visit before you prescribe anything would be advisable

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply