Question Details
Poor Performance After Unfortunate Training Barn Experience In A Horse
by bfellisdvm - November 17, 2022    View Case Report
Princess is. 12 Yr old Saddlebred mare who was confined to stall for multiple days in a row as a punishment from previous trainer for poor performance/bad behavior. Resents being saddled, will strike out with any limb available, though much better since arriving at new barn. The maiden mare was started on Xiao Yao San prior to my first exam/treatment on 8/3/22 based on description from owner. She was moved to a new barn and trainer and started on Jing Tang Xiao Yao San.at 3.6 gm of the concentrated formula bid for Liver Qi Stagnation and girth/flank pain. Her tongue is red and dry. Pulse deep, not very easily palpated, all thoracic and lumbar adjustments were to the L. Atlas , TMJ and sacral apex to the right. Ah Shi points are BL22 and 23 on L and PC1 on L>>R. The Dai Mai seemed restricted and I treated GB41on R and TH5 on L. Cleared muscle spasms in lumbar and p seemed much more relaxed. CV12 and ST 10 (points that typically point to stomach ulcers in my experience) were not active. Plan was to continue XYS and add cavalettis to training to engage brain/prefrontal cortex to stimulate upper motor neurons to dampen her fight or flight/ brain stem response. We attempted to taper XYS and behavior, pain, girthiness got worse at half dose. So we continued at original dose.
Next exam is 9/14/22. She is reluctant to go in reverse and clockwise. Still timid/fearful and adjustments were less in number and not split into L body and R cranial and sacral as before. She did allow tailtraction this time and relaxed well into traction. Dai Mai was quiet/open but Yin Wei Mai was on FIRE L >>R. I needled PC6 on L and KID KID 6 on R and YWM (along costochondral junction up to PC1 ) was ~75% “better”, less reactive. GB 32 on R was mild positive and she wouldn’t let me pick up and motion palpate L rear initially, so I put EPM on the radar, but don’t see other signs to pursue treatment. Because of the continued fear/timidity/PTSD/Heart Blood deficiency signs, I added Jing Tang’s Shen Calmer at 3 gm concentrate BID and continued XYS as before.
I saw Princess again on11/15/22 and she is moving better, interacting more with people, other horses, almost like a normal horse in outside arena, but still fearful especially close to walls, “scared of her own shadow” indoors. The trainer started her on a compounded omeprazole/ misoprostol paste and they feel it has helped some with behavior in the stall. Movement to R or clockwise is better, but still more hesitation and breaks in concentration going to R>L. And still resents the saddle and or being groomed in the flank. Her adjustments are fewer again, but back to L side between withers and L3, I got a really nice atlas dorsal on R and sacral apex to R (again-core to L and cranial sacral to R). Her tongue is still on red side but has more moisture, her pulse is deep and toneless, really difficult to get a good read on it. So, I said wtf and needled GB30 and sedated to release Yang from the Shao Yang. And lo and behold, there was nice tone to her pulse. I then sedated Yang Ming with ST and tonified Tai Yang with GV 3. She was then jogged in indoor arena and noticed improvement with fear and desire to move. So, could a toneless pulse still be a Shao Yang disharmony? If it responded how it seemingly did? It definitely changed the pulse, which always makes me feel better, for if nothing else, at least change the GD pulse! She did not show rear end (R) weakness today, though GB32 was mildly active, though quiet after needles removed. I reduced XYS and Shen Calmer to 2.4 gms bid and may discontinue and or replace based on your recommendation. My gut is telling me to start Xiao Chai Hu w/ Qin Jiao at 4gms bid and considering the Natural Path equine formula Heavenly Peace (?)
Or would NP Xiao Yao San be a better option? Not sure I’m seeing the Liver Qi stagnation resolve as I would like with the 2 current herbals. I was going to try to add in a video (before all this Qi stagnation arose at previous barn ) and where she was and is now. But not sure how that works or where you enter that? Or do you only do that in case reports?
Thanks again, sorry for the vomitus of information on this patient.. hope it helps anyway and it will make it easier to transfer to “Healed Cases” when we get there!

Brett
Replies
by naturevet
November 19, 2022
Hi Brett!

That's an interesting case. If you do get good before and after videos, you should be able to upload those on the 'case' side of things rather than the 'question' side.

I think the response to that last treatment is very meaningful. You can indeed get a very weak pulse in Shao Yang animals if their Yin has been significantly damaged. That Yin damage is especially likely to happen in the Stomach, if Yang is trapped in the Yang Ming for an extended period. The formula for that is Yi Guan Jian, and if you used it with Xiao Chai Hu Tang, my guess is that the horse would really start to do well.

Note that YGJ is a consideration anyway, whenever you have a case that seems like Liver Qi Stagnation but is not responding to all things Xiao Yao San. XYS treats a LV SP disharmony, whereas YGJ treats a LV ST disharmony. Normally the latter makes us think ulcers, but other signs of a "Yi Guan Jian deficiency" are a lot of costal arch (i.e., flank) pain, causing resentment of saddling. Since the Liver is stagnant, we do see the resentment of confinement, manifesting potentially as the shying away from walls.

All in all, then, I think XCHT plus YGJ is a good fit. I would give it a try and would expect you to get further than you have, which is still pretty darn far! Good job! You have a great talent for this work!

Steve
by bfellisdvm
November 20, 2022
Thank you! Give equal dose of each herb-I’m thinking 4gm XCH and 4gm YGJ. Or would adding 20 gm of YGJ to 100gm XCH' be sufficient?
by bfellisdvm
November 20, 2022
Thank you! Give equal dose of each herb-I’m thinking 4gm XCH and 4gm YGJ. Or would adding 20 gm of YGJ to 100gm XCH' be sufficient?
by bfellisdvm
November 20, 2022
Also, would Qin Jiao be indicated w XCH ? Or just go straight XCH for maximal response. ??
by bfellisdvm
November 20, 2022
Also, would Qin Jiao be indicated w XCH ? Or just go straight XCH for maximal response. ??
by bfellisdvm
November 20, 2022
Also, would Qin Jiao be indicated w XCH ? Or just go straight XCH for maximal response. Since I have had active GB points distal to GB 27.
by naturevet
November 20, 2022
I think if there is no joint pain, just straight XCHT is fine. I would probably do a 1:1 ratio of the two formulas, like you were originally thinking

S
by bfellisdvm
November 21, 2022
Gracias ????
by bfellisdvm
November 21, 2022
Gracias ????
by bfellis
December 14, 2022
Well, 2 weeks on 4 gm XCH and 2 gm YGJ and my client called me crying Saturday because she got her $125K horse back!! Fear is gone of indoor arena and saddling her /girthiness has been greatly diminished. My plan was continue at this dose until all presenting signs and symptoms are gone for a month and then reduce dose by half for a couple of weeks to see if pathogen is gone. Which leads me to another question…if an animal is on a XCH formula, but it still takes tonification or sedation of the Shao Yang to achieve a moderate pulse, that would indicate it still needs the formula? Ya? Likewise, if the broad toned middle deep pulse is not present, would that indicate formula is not indicated (along with resolution of signs and symptoms ) or taper the Shao Yang formula to see if it signs return?
Thank you for your help with this most challenging case!!!
Cheers,

Brett
by naturevet
December 14, 2022
Amazing stuff, Brett. You are innately talented, no doubt. Probably a reincarnation of Qi Bo!

Yes, I use the pulse to tell me when it's safe to start cautiously reducing herb dose. Of course, if the owner is ecstatic and is afraid to stop, then that is a balanced prescription that you can continue indefinitely.

Keep up the amazing work. I see lectures in your future on application of Shao Yang theory! I will be in the front row...

S
by bfellisdvm
December 17, 2022
Well, Qi Bo didn’t need your help, but I sure as hell do!!????
I’ll work towards that new goal you laid before me!

Brett
by bfellisdvm
January 3, 2023
Horse is on low starch grain and 8 lbs grass hay per day. It’s not really on kibble.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply