Question Details
Howling Constantly In A Cat
by CorinneC - November 23, 2022    View Case Report
Bailey is a beautiful 16yo Ragdoll MN cat. He is a well controlled hyperthyroid boy on Tapazole 5mg BID since early 2021. However for the last year he has been howling non-stop. He howls in the day and night. His owners are severely sleep deprived. We have tried acupuncture, CBD, Gabapentin, and Trazadone but nothing stops this boy from talking LOUDLY. Recently we tried Solensia and it REALLY helped with arthritis but also did not stop the yowling cries. He will only eat dry kibble (Gastro and Fibre formula), refuses canned and treats.

I met him today for the first time and his tongue is bright purple-red, sl swollen (although he's a large cat), and moist. His pulses are difficult to assess but seemed deep and weak (I am not convinced of this however because he holds his legs very tight and tense to abdomen). He is sl overwt, BCS 6-7/9 but otherwise in decent shape for his age.

My initial thought was Si Miao San because of the diet and size (he freefeeds and doesn't seem to overfeed), but it doesn't really match with all of this signs, esp the thyroid. Then I thought of Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang for the Yang Rising, not mixing properly with Yin, and creating an obstructive force that causes agitation and anxiety?

I would love your brilliant thoughts here!
Corinne
Replies
by naturevet
November 24, 2022
Hi Corinne,

I think SMS is a reasonable place to start, or even San Ren Tang (since the latter is calming as well as anti-Damp Heat). It's my sense that all hyperthyroidism starts as Damp Heat (or Phlegm-Fire). Kibble junkies are that much more prone to Damp. SRT is easy to give, so maybe start there, and if he responds, you can up the ante with SMS?

Hope that helps!
by CorinneC
November 24, 2022
I like it Steve! I’ll get going on the SRT and let you know how it goes. It’s been a long sleepless year for this family. Fingers (toes & eyes) crossed!
Corinne
by CorinneC
November 24, 2022
I like it Steve! I’ll get going on the SRT and let you know how it goes. It’s been a long sleepless year for this family. Fingers (toes & eyes) crossed!
Corinne
by CorinneC
March 10, 2023
Cat was retested with bloodwork and is now hyperthyroid (had normal T4 up until last 2 mths!) so on Methimazole. He would not take herbals no matter what form! So frustrating!!!
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply