Question Details
Quadraparesis In A Dog
by bfellisdvm - November 28, 2022    View Case Report
11/21/22 Koda is a 7 Yr FS Doberman with acute on chronic onset of weakness (Rear>Fore) after boarding for 7 days. She has history f separation anxiety with self trauma while boarding and she usually doesn’t eat her morning meal. Lesions are on the dorsal aspects of MC and MT on all four limbs..rear limbs bandaged. Wounds are deep and sensitive. T=101.8
Severe Heat radiating from neck and head (Yang is on the outside at 9am…)
Digits are cool in rear, nails and paws warm and inflamed in front.
T= purple wet
P= superficial and toned-softened with sedation of BL 40 to drain/release Tai Yang
Shen=not interacting, withdrawn, somnolent
AP GV3- tonify to return Yang
GB 30- sedate ST 36-sedate pulse softened, more moderate pulse I added BL 62 for Yang Qiao Mai and p began turning head both directions.
VSMT L4 PR, SBPL
Laser 3500 J neck to sacrum focusing on articular facets
Sent home with Bupleurum and Kudzu. 6 tabs po bid
11/22/22
Phone call from owner stating patient doing much better!, still weakness in rear, but happy and not chewing legs. And apparent deep infections are resolving with herbs alone..????
11/26/22
Walking up and down stairs , great appetite interacting w family and other pets
T=purple, wet
P= I believe it is a cowhide pulse-very toned and thick skin over artery. Softens w sedation if GB 30, GB 20 and ST 37. Tonified the Tai Yang with GV3

I continued the Bupleurum and Kudzu at 6 bid
Given history and pulse, I would like to switch over to a Shao Yang formula with Yi Guan Jian. I was thinking Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang-2 parts to 1 part YGJ. How will I know when to stop Bupleurum and Kudzu? Should I taper after this week and see? While simultaneously starting new herbs?
Thanks again! Still seeing so many Shao Yang cases even as we enter December-but with more GI signs.

Brett
Replies
by naturevet
December 1, 2022
Brett, you are a rockstar vet!

I say that because you agree 100% with what I do, so given my own very high sense of self esteem, it now extends to you!

Seriously, well done. You have a natural talent.

Bupleurum and Kudzu does help return the Yang, so it might be fine on its own. But CHJLGMLT + YGJ should also be well tolerated and maybe get him to the next level. Once he's plateaued on the Bupleurum and Kudzu, I'd add in the CHJLGMLT + YGJ mix, and see if he resumes improving. If so, you've gone beyond what the Kudzu formula can do for him, indicating it should be safe to start weaning him off that.

I hear you about Shao Yang in December. It should wane as you get closer to Christmas, but it does occur over a very broad range of months! The GI signs are happening in those cases because the Spleen and Stomach have very low Qi right now (in the fall). Add a Shao Yang problem to that (where Yang cannot internalize to the Yang Ming) and you are primed to have digestive problems.

Have a great rest of your week!

Steve
by bfellis
December 3, 2022
Thank you! The course with you Nate and Erin has really helped tie up some loose ends and bring a whole world of Shao Yang bs Damp Heat to light! Would not be here without all of your help!! Going ahead with the plan, also because this dog has a chronic history of Atopy/ hot spots/ Shao Yang pathology, I thought you had seen success with the CHJLGMLT and YGJ to help chronic skin disease with the right signs symptoms and pulse. So I’m starting with 2:1 former to later. I’ll let ya know how it goes! Experiencing a nice Wisconsin winter day here in the Nort Woods with the in-laws. -10 below F* on our morning walk! Enjoy your weekend!
Cheers ????
Brett
by naturevet
December 5, 2022
Sounds like a plan! Dress warm!

S
by bfellisdvm
December 29, 2022
I will see Koda again next week. So far continuing to do well with no atopic disease since starting CHJLGMLT w YGJ.

Brett
by naturevet
December 29, 2022
Nicely done. Very impressive!

S
by bfellisdvm
January 3, 2023
A great case that seemed to be screaming for antibiotics, NSIADS and/other pain management modalities but was able to use needles, hands and laser to bring presenting complaints to resolution. My plan is to switch to Chai Hu Jia Long Gu Mu Li Tang with 20 gm /100 ofYi Guan Jian to address atopy and Stomach Heat/Dryness at next visit.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply