Question Details
Urinary Incontinence In A Dog
by CorinneC - December 2, 2022    View Case Report
Chloe is a 12yo FS Dalmatian who I have been treating this past few months for urinary incontinence. We started with DES and it worked really well to start but she is now having to give 1mg EOD to control. Today I convinced her to try TCM!! However, Chloe is a bit confusing. She recently switched her to a homecooked diet on my recommendation and she has lost a lot of wt. She looks fantastic! Chloe has a long history of hip arthritis and discomfort. Tends to knuckle a bit and trip lately, inner nails wear down, outer nails not so much.

For the last 2 years, the owner had been fighting a growing urinary incontinence issue on her own with diapers! Chloe is a DEEP sleeper and will leak while sleeping and can take 3-5 min to wake. No insomnia, sleeps well through the night. Normally a very calm dog. Deaf. Mostly indifferent with dogs, does not like GSD (stays away), never aggressive. Good for people. Stubborn with O but good natured.

On exam, pulses well toned and broad, tongue lavender, swollen, moist. This confused me. I had originally nailed her for a Sang Piao Xiao San dog but her pulses are so well toned? I've been reading through your notes from the webinar and everything fits but this and the fact that she has no cognitive dysfunction or apparent anxiety? I have used this formula in the past and I've literally been wrong every time so I want to make sure I'm on the right track!

Thanks AGAIN!
Corinne (sorry busy day full of interesting cases:)
Replies
by naturevet
December 5, 2022
Hi Corinne,

I'd wonder about using both Xiao Chai Hu Tang and Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang here. As a pair, they confer a wide variety of physiological effects useful in incontinence. Meanwhile, XCHT fits the:
- hip pain and knuckling
- transient pronounced benefit to a Yin tonic (i.e., the DES). Yin deficiency is often the underlying cause of Shao Yang tendencies.

BZYQT fits the:

- estrogen-responsiveness (since it contains phytosterols which induce some of its benefits)
- broad pulse (sometimes the pulse for BZYQT is floating, like a Wind invasion)
- deep sleep

Both formulas work well together to address Stasis in the lower burner and a deficiency of Heart Shen (consciousness) which can cause incontinence

I think I'd try this combo first

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply