Question Details
Wobblers In A Dog
by CorinneC - March 10, 2023    View Case Report
Randi is a 9yo FS Doberman with progressive Wobblers. She has done very well with acupuncture for over 4 years, alongside XFZYT and XCHT (recently switched to modified XFZYT and modified XCHT), Assisi loop treatment BID, and occasional Meloxicam on bad days. In the last 3 months she has started to fail however and I'm just heartbroken. This week the Owner started Gabapentin 300mg BID and Meloxicam 30kg SID. This is a truly joyful dog, she shows no sign of discomfort, always up for a hug and attention, great appetite and spirit.

Today I am really noticing muscle mass loss (generalized) and increasingly more weak, ataxic, and hypermetric. Her left side today was worse for delayed proprioception. Her tongue is lavender-pink, flabby, relatively thin, moist; pulses toned with a sl garden-hose feel.

I am wondering if you have any more advice to share for this wonderful dog?
Replies
by naturevet
March 15, 2023
Hi Corinne,

I can't remember if you've used Bu Gan Tang on this dog yet or not, but it may be a better choice than the XFZYT. Generalized muscle atrophy and (what I presume is) a hollow feeling pulse can call for it.

Otherwise, I'd wonder if Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang is a better formula to pair with the XCHT than XFZYT. If the dog is Damp, consider Yi Yi Ren Tang instead.

Lastly, I assume the dog is receiving chiropractic for neck fixations and stiffness. If not, I've found that to be crucial

Hopefully one or more of these ideas help!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply