Question Details
Gastritis In A Dog
by mszyrmer - March 13, 2023    View Case Report
Sorry to be posting so much, but it's been a few weeks of challenging cases!

Klover is a 7 year old, FS, terrier mix

-Raw fed most of her life
-6 months ago began to show signs of acid indigestion - stretching her neck, loud stomach noises, voracious appetite, lip smacking and regurgitation at night (wakes up and looks uncomfortable)
-Owner tried switching to cooked diet - Just food for dogs - Venison and chicken and both made her worse
-Soft stools
-Drinking more water

On exam, she was slightly overweight with mild gingivitis.

In December, I switched her to a cooling protein diet (ground turkey and butternut squash) and put her on Wei Ling Tang. Looking back, I understand why this was a poor choice (giving a warming herb to an inflamed system). She did not do well on it.

I switched her to Yi Guan Jian instead.

Owner came back last week for a recheck. Said that patient initially seemed to do better on the YGJ, but then started to have "stringy" stool... I tried to figure out if she meant soft? But she kept saying stringy... so I assume soft. Owner found that when she gave a very small dose of YGJ the stool was better and the Gastritis was slightly better. But not gone or fully improved.

Overall, seems like things have not really improved. A few weeks prior, owner tried adding homemade bone broth to the diet and the patient developed urgent, bloody diarrhea. This has since resolved but took a long time to go away.

Owner found that adding oatmeal or buckwheat has helped symptoms somewhat. Was worried patient was losing too much weight (in my opnion, she was not), and feels the added carbs have helped with that.

Pet was much more comfortable when owner added Sucralfate but she doesn't want pharmaceutical treatment long-term.

The owner is a bit high anxiety and I feel like the dog is picking up on that. The dog has some blood deficiency tendencies too - protective when around owner.

My thoughts are: There is still a damp heat component to this patient and I need something to counteract the cloying nature of the Yi Guan Jian. I am considering Si Miao San... possibly adding in some Dang Gui (these LA dogs are all so dry!)... but maybe starting with just the SMS?

But would love any input!

Thank you!!
Magda :)
Replies
by naturevet
March 15, 2023
Hi Magda,

I'm wondering if the next thing to add is Xiao Chai Hu Tang. When the Shao Yang is in disharmony, the Yang Ming is more apt to become too hot, because Yang is help captive there for longer, damaging Stomach and Large Intestine Yin. That creates inflammation and, ironically, diarrhea in some animals. As well, it produces ulcers and middle-of-the-night GERDS like symptoms. Shao yang disharmony also fits with the weight loss (perceived by the owner) on a low carb diet, and the anxiety. It also has some anti-Dampness herbs (Ban Xia, Sheng Jiang) to balance out the YGJ, which will likely become easier for the dog to tolerate.

Some western herbs that can palliate include Slippery Elm or Marshmallow. Both of those are available in powders that can be added to the food.

Hopefully this helps you out. I think it will work

Steve
by mszyrmer
May 10, 2023
Hello!

Update and question on this case: I kept Klover on the Natural Path YGJ and added in XCHT. Owner is feeding cooked buckwheat and turkey diet.

Per the owner, she is doing much better! However, owner was never able to increase the herbs to the full dose for her weight which is 1/4 tsp BID. Whenever owner approached that dose, the acid reflux symptoms would return.

When owner stopped the herbs for a few days because she ran out, the symptoms came back.

My recommendation for the owner was to keep her on the current herb protocol but balance out the diet more. But wondering if there is anything I should add or change based on the owner's feedback.

Thank you!!
by naturevet
May 18, 2023
Hi Magda,

If she is doing well on a sub-normal dose, then it's still apparently enough for her. Is it the XCHT she can't get to a full dose on? Or the YGJ? If the XCHT, she can try boosting the YGJ dose. If it's the YGJ, we can look at something anti-Dampness like San Ren Tang in addition or instead

We have a similar dog that we are trying on SMS in addition to the above, but it's symptoms are more intense

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply