Question Details
11 Year GSP MC Canine Waxing And Waning Lameness
by zenpony2000 - March 15, 2023
Good Day
Wanted to see if I am on the correct path for treatment. I have a 11 year GSP MC canine that has some waxing and waning lameness. Over the past year had a weird acute incident of all joints becoming inflamed. Tested negative to all tick borne illness ( could have been early infection) and negative for RA factor. Was treated at primary w/Doxy/Steroids. Rebounded quickly. He gets regular chiropractic/acupuncture care from me. I get the feeling this could be autoimmune vs wind heat/wind cold issue. P is balanced dog behaviorally. Slight dryness to coat, dry nose. Tongue is dark pink, slightly sticky but moist, no coating. Pulse is weaker on Yin/Blood. Pulse more superficial and easily palpable but any challenge sinks away from me. P did have issues with heat/damp in feet but since removing pine tree on property had resolved. Does have dry feet and dry regions where interdigital cysts where. No licking or chewing at feet. I feel P heat moves over different parts of body during treatment. Will be top of head is hot, then lateral sides will be hot. Typically by end of treatment he is cooler. He does have heat avoidance. He will sometimes limp on forelimb R or L, but then 1-2 weeks lame on RH or LH. Tick Titers have been negative.
I was thinking of starting him on Jia Wei Chai Ge Jie Ji Tang? He seems to have both waxing and waning wind heat/wind cold. or should I also think about adding in Clear Spiro to cover that as well and local vet said he could have had early tick borne illness that wouldn't have been detected on bloodwork.

Thank you kindly,
Sarah
Replies
by naturevet
March 15, 2023
Hi Sarah,

That sounds like a tricky case. If you're wanting to make sure you've rousted any tick borne illnesses, Xiao Chai Hu Tang is my go-to, especially with Qin Jiao added, but the pulse seems to weak for it. The pulse you describe fits Wind invasion, Wei Qi deficiency, and Blood deficiency, all of which can co-exist. One way to treat all three in a dog with vague shifting mobility issues is to try something like Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang (Pubescent Angelica and Loranthus Combination). Another option is Yi Yi Ren Tang (Coix Combination), but it's more drying. The latter is the first thing to try, though, in dogs with multiple swollen joints, if things ever become acute again.

If DHJST works somewhat, you can build on that by introducing something like Bu Gan Tang (Liver Support Formula). It can help relax any tense or spastic muscles contributing to an uneven gait.

Hopefully this helps you out!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply