Question Details
Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome In 15 Yr FS Island Dog
by zenpony2000 - March 22, 2023
This is my own personal dog looking for incite on helping with suspected and developing CDS. She is a 15 yr FS roughly 40 lbs. black coconut retriever from St. Kitts.

Lassie is a fire dog to boot, vocal, playful, with some liver tendencies of putting other dogs in place, being the dominant female. She was feral for at least 1 year of her life prior to me adopting her about about 2 yrs. She does have chronic partial brachial plexus on LF from HBC prior to adoption. She started to have waxing and waning ALT enzyme around 10 years of age, worked up ( u/s and bx) to find inflammatory hepatitis probably due to ingestion of something toxic when young. She has chronic history of LS stenosis, disc collapse L6-L7 which leads to limping/discomfort on RH, Partial CCL LH and OA in R tibiotarsal joint from injury playing ball. She has always been a "hot dog" I have used different herbal formulas/diet/acupuncture to address the OA/Heat and mild hyperactivity but no real change. She has been on Shen Calmer, Liver Happy, Di Gu Pi San, Yi Guan Jian, and Rehmannia 6. no changes in behavior/ movement.

Currently her tongue color on the edges is red, more lavender center. Still good moisture. Warm to touch. Pulses are weaker on R vs L, to me they feel slippery cannot get a good "grip" on them. Pulse is thinner bilaterally.She is obsessed with food. She has her "witching" hour from 7-9 pm where she is whining, chirping, restless when we are sitting couch/table, time of Pericardium/Triple Heater. She does not stare at walls, gets lost, etc. seen with other stages of CDS. Very quick to hear commands or words she likes and responses, but over the top ie jumping over things to get to treat/toy and the expense of self preservation. New change in the past 2-3 weeks is having urinary leakage at night either when sitting with us in evening or over night. Negative for UTI, ok during the day even when sleeping. She does fall asleep, stays asleep. No dreaming observed.

Currently she gets homecooked meals/Just Food for Dogs, probiotics, Omega3, joint supplements, Adequan. I did start her on Voltrex/Lumbrex this fall, just on Voltrex now due to great response. This has brought her liver enzymes down to normal range now, just on once a day dosing now... big help! She is on Haliscion since before the New Year, was thinking that by helping internalize the Yang would be the ticket, since I have done a lot of Yin tonics over the years but yet to see calmness at night on Haliscion.

Now I am thinking there could be a Phlegm-Heat, Phlegm-obstruction pattern? To help the urinary side and the heart/shen adding in Sang Piao Xiao San be an option? She is doing great on Voltrex, just figuring out how to tie other formulas in to help.

Thank you!
Sarah
Replies
by naturevet
March 27, 2023
Hi Sarah!

I'm glad your dog is doing well on the Voltrex. That tells us she is a Shao Yang dog, and what whatever is wrong must tie in with that. You've tried many Yin and Blood tonics, including in the Halscion, so I think we can let go of that as a strategy. The incontinence and witching hour both occur during the period of Jue Yin excess, which can be aggravated by a Shao Yang disharmony, so that is the next thing to try to address.

Jue Yin excess, taken to its extreme, means Yin gets so profoundly pressurized in the lower abdomen that it will not admit the entry of Yang. The separation of Yin and Yang can produce Source Qi deficiency, but also signs of pressure in the lower abdomen, commonly causing incontinence. Meanwhile, Yang bubbles up geographically to the middle and upper burners, producing Stomach Fire (which can drive hunger) and Heart Fire (which can cause restlessness).

Wu Mei Wan was traditionally advocated for this problem, but when you look at the design of Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang (used in Spleen Qi Sinking), you can see that it also addresses Jue Yin excess and upper burner Blood and Yin deficiency, too. I've had good luck pairing BZYQT with derivatives of XCHT (such as Voltrex) in addressing refractory urinary incontinence. I've also used it for cognitive dysfunction. The Astragalus and Ginseng it contains help out there. Make sure that whatever version you use, it has Panax Ginseng in it, to get that impact.

By the way, when Wei Qi is lacking, Blood can tend to scatter and not flow effectively, leading to signs of Blood deficiency. It commonly produces a Slippery feeling pulse

Hopefully that helps you out. Let us know how it goes!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply