Question Details
Systemic Mastocytosis In A Cat
by equinesportsmed - April 13, 2023    View Case Report
A feline patient had a splenic nodule that was suspected MCT (not sure how that diagnosis was made pre-sx, but was confirmed). She had a splenectomy, and seemed to be doing well, pathology showed a low grade, so all good. Then four days post sx, she started crashing-- lethargic, inappetent. She was in and out of ER, and had low PCV, so they suggested a transfusion, which prep for revealed she had systemic issues-- presumably from bone marrow tumors.

She has responded well to prednisone, and is eating again. She was previously raw fed, and now owner is struggling, but in the short term, she was rejecting the modified XFZYT as part of her food. I am coaching owner on dissolving it and squirting in mouth. Other than quercetin, is there anything else we should do differently for a systemic MCT presentation? Does anyone have any experience with this?
Replies
by naturevet
April 13, 2023
For bone marrow failure in cats in general, I've sometimes found Qing Ying Tang to help. Or comprehensive tonics like Shi Quan Da Bu Tang. Even Rehmannia Eight might help.

MCT isn't the only thing that can cause this. Has Hemobartonella been ruled out? Perhaps there was a flare up from immune suppression due to the stress of surgery? If the cat is immune suppressed, removing a major immune organ might have aggravated something like that. In that case, the tonic formulas are likely to be of the most benefit, like SQDBT

Steve
by equinesportsmed
April 14, 2023
I haven't gotten the report yet, but the primary issue was they found circulating mast cells in the blood when typing her for a transfusion, that's what I meant by systemic issue. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. The oncologist had warned her that this might happen, so I guess it's a thing. I can ask about testing for Hemobartonella. I think she is an indoors only cat who doesn't go anywhere.
by naturevet
April 15, 2023
It should at least be obvious when you examine her if she's deficient (weak pulse) or excess (surprisingly strong pulse). If the latter, try Qing Ying Tang. If the former, try Shi Quan Da Bu Tang. Minor Bupleurum is an option for the former as well
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply