Question Details
Herbs For Osteosarcoma Prior To Surgey
by CDolan - April 21, 2023
I have a patient who was recently diagnosed with a bone tumor in her right hip and spine, based on CT imaging. Initially the owner was told that this wasn't operable, but a second opinion with an oncologist and associated surgeon has determined that it is, so they are planning surgery with followup conventional care based on histopathology.

Based on my pattern diagnosis (Yin Deficiency with Blood Stagnation, Toxic Heat) I'd already ordered some herbs to start for palliative care (Hoxsey + Bonset; OSA I and OSA II from Natural Path -- modified Qing Gu San and Huo Luo Xiao Ling Dan respectively) -- I am thinking I may modify this slightly after surgery (possibly pausing the OSA II once pain has resolved, and adding in modified Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang).

My main question is -- do I need to have the owner discontinue/pause these herbs prior to the amputation surgery, from a coagulation/surgical safety standpoint? I believe Dang Gui (in OSA II) can have some anti-coagulant effects, but is this true more broadly of Blood Movers? Surgery is tentatively set for about 10 days from now with a boarded surgeon.

Thank you for your help!
Replies

There have not yet been any replies to this question

Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply