Question Details
Rapid Breathing At Night In A Dog
by equinesportsmed - August 1, 2023    View Case Report
Hi Steve--

Once again, I am the queen of weird-ass cases! Georgy is a 6 month old poodle puppy who breathes rapidly and shallowly at night, sometimes to the point of respiratory distress. The owner says he did this from his first night home, mid-April, DOB 2/1/23. It seemed to get progressively worse until keeping both of them up at night by early May. She had heart and lungs checked out by (conventional) vet friend. Puppy has never shown any exercise intolerance, great appetite (eats only raw), active, happy, growing appropriately. On Jean Dodds vaccination schedule.

So when obvious things check out, and owner is still concerned, I suggest she make an appt for some diagnostics. On 6/21, internist takes rads, which are interpreted by radiologist as "interstitial pattern" in lungs, and suggests could be parasites. So they put him on a course of wormers, which do not change anything. In another couple of weeks, after a particularly bad night, she goes to ER (same clinic) and insists they do a diagnostic workup. CT agrees with plain rads-- now calling it "ground glass" appearance in lungs. Pulse ox normal. Owner describes the resp. distress as expiratory, as he breathes out hard and rapidly, progresses to panting. Keeps them both up all night, then he collapses at 5 am and sleeps for 6 hours.

I am thinking Yin def, Jing def, LU channel involvement, but hardly know where to begin. I am getting desperate, and put the case up on the Holistic FB group, and Heather O'Leary suggests a treatment based on Balanced AP, which she is studying now. So she walks me through a treatment of He Sea points, alternating Yin and Yang, HT, SI, KI, BL, as opposite circadian clock from LU time of 3-5 am. I can barely keep the needles in for 30 seconds (puppy!), but damned if the problem doesn't stop that night. Meanwhile, BAL comes back a week later positive for Bordatella. (He has never coughed, no bronchial involvement). Conventional vet puts him on Doxy, and he seems to be okay on it, with extra probiotics. So Heather has me repeat weekly two more times, and dog continues to do well. Until last Friday night (~ 3 weeks from initial), it's back to as bad as ever.

The owner is a professional trauma and grief counselor, with chronic lung issues. And as you can imagine, long personal history of trauma/grief/loss. Let's say a LU constitution? I am trying to get her some treatment with emotional balancing. Dog channeling her?

I tried a treatment today where I reversed the polarity of the balanced acupuncture treatment-- flipped Yin to Yang. Waiting to hear if he sleeps tonight. I also dosed him with Thuja 200C in case some weird vaccine reaction. Today his tongue was pale-ish pink, pulse superficial, compressible, but kind of sharp. His tongue is never red. He is not particularly heat intolerant. She can tell he is going to have a bad night by around 10 pm (TH?) The other vet gave her some Trazodone, which eventually knocks him out.

Does this resemble any pattern you can recognize? Any herbal suggestions? In every other way, he is a normal, active, happy puppy!!
Replies
by naturevet
August 4, 2023
Hi there,

Lung Qi deficiency can create the pale tongue and the rapid breathing. Lung Qi deficiency (and attendant Wei Qi deficiency) explains the apparent role of infection, but also the 'clockwork' switching on and off of the problem. It would be aggravated every day when the Liver is in ascendance, from 7 pm to 3 am.

This is a form of Jue Yin excess. When it manifests as Upper Burner vacuity, I like to use Bu Zhong Yi Qi Tang as the place to start. Once you've 'broken the back' of the Liver excess, basic Qi tonics like Liu Jun Zi Tang or Yu Ping Feng San may help from there.

The pulse you describe is very common in BZYQT cases - essentially a floating pulse in a deficient animal, where a pathogen is taking advantage of the diminished Wei Qi, but being held at the surface (because it's mid-day). As Qi and Blood internalize during Jue Yin, the pulse undoubtedly sinks and becomes deep. It would be interesting for the owner to check that. Still, the floating pulse you describe should respond to sedation of SP 4 and tonification of PC 6. I'd recommend trying those points out

Hopefully this helps you out. Definitely let us know!
by equinesportsmed
August 5, 2023
Thanks so much! What would be signs to look for, to show that I've "broken the back" of the liver excess? Would the pulse internalize more? On another note, the owner is very excited to pursue AP for her own emotional regulation and a medical intuitive consult for the dog. Bit by bit!!
by naturevet
August 6, 2023
I just meant when you've caused a.consistent improvement in the pattern, even if there are residual symptoms
by equinesportsmed
August 14, 2023
So, after one dose of BZYQT, owner reported a good night's sleep. Next day, heavy panting during next day, but slept well. During this week, owner worked with a medical intuitive (on my recommendation) who reported that Georgy was "new at being a dog", and that her previous dog was looking out for him. Owner reported fast breathing at night mid-week, but good sleep.

One week on BZYQT: "There's big positive change. Breathing better all over and sleeping through the night". She also is changing their dog park romp to evening to help tire him out. So, it is looking like a success! The real test will be in two weeks, with the waxing moon. He seems to have always gotten worse in the week before full moon. Could be random chance, but I am waiting to see.

Thanks again!
by equinesportsmed
August 14, 2023
So, after one dose of BZYQT, owner reported a good night's sleep. Next day, heavy panting during next day, but slept well. During this week, owner worked with a medical intuitive (on my recommendation) who reported that Georgy was "new at being a dog", and that her previous dog was looking out for him. Owner reported fast breathing at night mid-week, but good sleep.

One week on BZYQT: "There's big positive change. Breathing better all over and sleeping through the night". She also is changing their dog park romp to evening to help tire him out. So, it is looking like a success! The real test will be in two weeks, with the waxing moon. He seems to have always gotten worse in the week before full moon. Could be random chance, but I am waiting to see.

Thanks again!
by equinesportsmed
August 15, 2023
Of course, the morning after I reported success, there were further problems. She says past two nights he is getting agitated and distressed, starting around 10 pm, but worst around 12-2 AM, which puts it right back in Liver territory. But breathing is normal, no panting. I will give her a half bottle of YPFS that I have lying around to try, based upon previous recommendation above, unless you have a different idea?
by naturevet
August 18, 2023
Sounds good. Even if the relapse is only partial, that is reason enough to persist with this approach. Acupuncture should focus on sedating SP 4, tonifying PC 6, and tonifying GV 20

Hopefully on balance the dog continues to trend upwards

S
by equinesportsmed
August 19, 2023
Actually, she never came to pick up the Jade Wind Screen, but reported late this week that he is doing okay, with occasional relapse episodes that are 80% milder than previous ones. The client went all-in on doing her personal work with trauma and grief with an acupuncturist and a medical intuitive that I referred her to and is super happy that all the parts of her life are coming together. Medical intuitive told her she needs a second dog :-)
by naturevet
September 3, 2023
I'm glad things are working themselves out. Cheers
S
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply