Question Details
Advanced Lymphoma
by CarolineJ - August 16, 2023
Hi Dr Steve,

I've got a suspect lymphoma case on my hands which appears to have ocular involvement. Loki is an 8 years old 24# NM mixed breed with severe lymphadenopathy - all lymph nodes are extremely enlarged. The SM and pre-scap LN are a bit bigger than a golf ball. The poplitea LN are the size of a big grape and he developed a limp this morning which I think is due to increased axillary lymph node size on the right side.

The owners do not want to pursue chemotherapy and wish to treat this with a holistic approach only, which is putting a lot of pressure on me considering how advanced I think it is...

Traditional Chinese exam:

Pulse: Thin, very fast, floating (feels a little eratic?)
Tongue: Red/lavender, wet
Body temperature: hot
Decreased appetite in the morning
Cool seeking, pants, lays in front of a fan all the time at home

Assessment :
Suspect lymphoma w/ ocular involvement ddx cannot rule out leukemia
Lethargy
Weight loss, muscle atrophy temporal muscles
Uveitis, Glaucoma, hyphema in R eye.
Dry coat, hair thinning on dorsum

Not exactly sure how lymphoma translates as far a TCVM specific diagnosis goes, but so far I have this:
Significant Qi Def
Wei Qi Deficiency
Spleen Qi Deficiency
Blood Stasis & blood def ?
Phlegm
Yin Deficiency/ Excess Heat

BW on this patient reveals very elevated lymphocytes, with bands present. RBC WNL and platelets WNL. Although this BW is from 05.2023 so quite dated.
The cytology report from lymph node FNA said : These findings of a persistent marked lymphocytosis are consistent with lymphoproliferative disease (either lymphocytic leukemia or an intermediate size lymphoma with circulating neoplastic cells).
O did not pursue further work up.

I started this patient (20#) on
Si Miao San: ½ teaspoon BID and Hoxsey-like formula (tincture): ½ mL BID
We also started 5 mg pred BID because the patient had a couple episodes where he seemed to gasp for air while resting.

Wondering what to add for the ocular involvement/dyspnea ? XCHT or Bupleurum, Dragon Bone and Oyster Shell Combination (CHJLGMLT)? I read in other lymphoma cases about CHJLGMLT being useful for ocular lymphoma, but since this P is already on 2 herbals, if we could add one more formula which do you think would help best?

Many thanks in advance !
Caroline
Replies
by naturevet
August 18, 2023
Hi Caroline,

If you've seen benefits of SMS and Hoxsey at all - even a little - then I'd wonder about adding Long Dan Xie Gan Tang for its anti-inflammatory and intra-ocular benefits. It fits the other two formulas well. One aggressively cold single herb with clinical benefits in lymphoma is Prunella. Lastly, Natural Path sells an LSA Combination created by Erin Bannink and myself. That might help, too

I have a case like this one, too, and they are a struggle, to be sure. Finding a consistently effective treatment for lymphoma is still one of the big challenges of my career

S
by CarolineJ
August 18, 2023
Hi Dr Steve,
Thank you so much for you reply and advise on this case. Unfortunately Loki passed away at home one night ago, just so you know I won’t have feedback for you on this patient.
I do have a couple questions regarding your suggestions, for the sake of education.
1) can the LSA formula be combined with the Hoxey tincture and SMS or would you use it by itself?
2) Is Prunella typically in herbal formulas or is it a stand alone?

Thanks again for you support!
by CarolineJ
August 18, 2023
Hi Dr Steve,
Thank you so much for you reply and advise on this case. Unfortunately Loki passed away at home one night ago, just so you know I won’t have feedback for you on this patient.
I do have a couple questions regarding your suggestions, for the sake of education.
1) can the LSA formula be combined with the Hoxey tincture and SMS or would you use it by itself?
2) Is Prunella typically in herbal formulas or is it a stand alone?

Thanks again for you support!
by naturevet
September 3, 2023
Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear this case didn't make it, but once they get that hot and inflamed, they are tough to turn around

Regarding your questions, I sometimes add Prunella to other formulas like LSA or even SMS. All three of those formulas - LSA, SMS and Hoxsey - can be used together if need be

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply