Question Details
Food Sensitivities In A Dog
by JLoCh - August 25, 2023    View Case Report
Echo is 8yo female spayed mixed breed (GSD x Whippet). She has been diagnosed with food sensitivities since before 1yo. She has been maintained on a raw food diet her entire life since 10wo.
Her main reaction to foods is chewing her foot pads which can be so severe overnight that she cannot walk without pain the next day. She will often scoot, no matter what she eats. She passes formed firm stools, she prefers being inside in the cool but will enjoy a sunbake in the midday sun every day. She prefers lying on soft surfaces rather than the tiles. She has a good appetite, Her tongue is red and moist. Her pulse is strong and full. She has good energy levels and good shen.
A Nutriscan test (repeated twice) revealed sensitivity to 23 out of 24 food items tested leaving beef as the only food she could eat from the list. Her current diet consists of beef, cucumber, natural greek yoghurt, blue berries, black berries and strawberries. She has small beef bones daily - if she has any larger beef bones she will react with the paw chewing.
I have been treating her with XCHT but she will still react just as badly if she manages to eat something she is not supposed to. She does however seem to recover a lot more quickly. I am at a bit of a loss as to how to treat her successfully so that she could be introduced to a more varied diet.
Replies
by naturevet
September 3, 2023
I think you're on the right track, Jodie! I find I have to add Si Wu Tang to the XCHT to get satisfactory results in skin issues.

The allergies are likely being acquired from a leaky gut secondary to dysbiosis. Raw diets result in a decline of bacteria that use soluble fiber and which ferment carbohydrates to maintain gut wall integrity and modulate the immune system, respectively. Lactobacillus and/or Bacteroides will likely need to be added as probiotics, and the raw food should contain about 1/5 to 1/4 plant material (vegetables, berries, beans, etc.) to support those bacteria and ensure their survival.

If you make those changes, you should see further improvements

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply