Question Details
Endocrine Disorder In A Cat
by equinesportsmed - December 17, 2023    View Case Report
One of my oldest friends is begging for help with one of her cats. They live far away, so this is a distance consult. If it were a dog, any of us would immediately say Cushings-- ravenous appetite, pendulous belly, hair loss and lethargy. She first took him to her vet last spring, where they decided he had diabetes or cancer, and told her if she didn't give insulin, he'd be dead in a month or so. At that time, he had GLU=1000 in urine and 392 in serum, plus elevated lipase. All else WNL. She wasn't convinced he would tolerate insulin, so she did not treat. He carried on much the same all summer, and she asked me about it in early November.

I sent her a bottle of Four Marvels, thinking that whether it was diabetes or Cushings, both indicated SMS. She gave it for a month, with no apparent change, then went back to the local vet who convinced her to try 1.5.units of insulin BID. She did not see any changes in his attitude, but when she took him back, GLU was down to 300 from 400. Vet wanted to increase dose to 2.5, my friend started with 2.0 over the weekend, in case there was trouble, no change in ravenousness. On Monday, increased to 2.5 and all hell broke loose-- he refused to eat, was depressed and had liquid diarrhea. She stopped it all, and after a day he went back to his baseline, albeit with even more hair loss.

Do you think this is a matter of more carefully tweaking the insulin, or are they on the wrong track altogether? Clearly the kitty did not go into a keto-acidotic crisis in the 8 months from when they measured high glucose and when they treated. But he is miserable, and so is the owner. Should we try a higher dose of SMS? Is this more consistent with a tumor than a centrally mediated insulin dyscrasia?
Replies
by naturevet
December 18, 2023
Karen, given the response to insulin on the chem panels, diabetes seems confirmed. In a cat, that means Damp Heat due to the feeding of a processed diet seems confirmed. I find the Damp Heat formulas don't work nearly as well until the diet is changed in severe cases so the owner may need to bite the bullet and try some raw or cooked meat diets. On the plus side, if the cat is ravenous, it will hopefully eat the diet. If the owner is hoping for a reversal of type II diabetes, this is only realistic if the cat is eating meat and is entirely off kibble or canned food.

Herbally speaking, Si Miao San was a good try. Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan may facilitate hair growth, protect against diarrhea (if colitis) and help prevent progression to hind limb paralysis. San Ren Tang is a good all round insulin sensitizer, better in cats than SMS. Neither will work well if the diet isn't addressed, though

Hope that helps

Steve
by equinesportsmed
December 19, 2023
Thanks, Steve-- she has been avoiding kibble and choosing canned carefully (for 10% CHO or less) plus some raw since another kitty had lymphoma 2 yrs ago. So I think the damp heat from diet is mostly under control. Would you do Zhi Bai and SRT together, or try them sequentially?

Just this moment, she texted that she wanted to go off the insulin because she didn't think it was helping-- now, she is looking at the behaviors, weight loss, ragged fur and seeing no change. The reduction in glucose did not impress her. Would you keep at 1.5 units BID, since he tolerated that? I don't have experience managing diabetic cats-- does the glucose drop slowly, or is the dose-dependent amount what you will get? Is there a way to slowly titrate up, avoiding the poor reaction?
by naturevet
December 19, 2023
I would change one thing at a time, so the herbs don't get the blame for any withdrawal of insulin. Once she is where she can tolerate being with insulin, then add in San Ren Tang and see what transpires over the next few weeks.

If the cat is a raging type II diabetic, then the diet is still by definition driving the disease condition, even on her carefully chosen canned food. It's odd that she will turn a blind eye to that, even as she is very critical of everything else going into her kitty's mouth!

S
by equinesportsmed
December 19, 2023
Can you tell by response to insulin whether Type 1 or Type 2? Her local vet threw her hands up and said "This is above my pay grade"!
by equinesportsmed
December 19, 2023
Can you tell by response to insulin whether Type 1 or Type 2? Her local vet threw her hands up and said "This is above my pay grade"!
by naturevet
December 19, 2023
Cats are always assumed to be type II unless there was some catastrophic injury to the pancreas. This allows them to convert to euglycemia under ideal dietary circumstances
by equinesportsmed
December 21, 2023
Great call— the local vet had convinced them to feed Hills Gluco-whatever. Before I even had a chance to sit down and discuss it, the cat stared her down over a raw hamburger with organ meat she was making for herself and he snarfed it down. I had her download a recipe from Animal Diet Formulator, and she thinks he already seems happier. I sent SRT, and she will continue giving 1.5 BID and recheck glucose first week in January.
by naturevet
December 22, 2023
Yay! He's bound to do better
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply