Question Details
Chronic Pica In A Bernese Mtn Dog
by CorinneC - February 29, 2024
Takayo has been eating cloths, towels, and scarves since the owner adopted him 4 yrs ago! He is a 6yo MN Berner, fed a good raw diet since adopted. He has had 2 exploratory laps to remove items, but mostly O just has him vomit if she can't catch him before he imbibes. His tongue is typically a normal pink or reddish pink, today it was a little red at tip, normal size, moist. His pulses are often difficult to find but seem reasonably toned when I do! He is a nice boy but is on the anxious side. He had been prone to goopy inflamed eyes, off and on Tobrex or Tobradex. In October I put him on CHJLGMLT and YGJ to see if I could get after what I assumed to be a primary leaky gut and dysbiosis and potential ST Heat and Yang Rising. No real change with the pica but his eyes cleared up! Now he is also covered in several sebaceous cysts over his dorsum where he only had one last summer.

I'd love your help, as always, when you get a sec,
Corinne in Victoria :)
Replies
by naturevet
March 6, 2024
Hi Corinne,

The pulse would suggest you need something more dispersing. Since the dog is raw fed, we automatically suspect Shao Yang disharmony, so putting those two things together, I would reach for Minor Bupleurum of some sort. Stomach Heat is a feature of Yang trapped in the Yang Ming. From there it passes to the Heart to create anxiety. CHJLGMLT has XCHT in it, but the dynamic is internalizing, not dispersing, so it's not as good a fit. The fact that his eyes cleared up tells you you're on the right track, though.

Pica for cloth sometimes indicates Phlegm and Dampness accumulation, but that is unlikely in a raw fed dog unless it's too cold for their Spleen (causing, for example, a low appetite). Another perhaps more likely possibility is that the dog is craving fiber, which is understandable in a raw fed Shao Yang disharmony dog. Much of the disease processes in Shao Yang raw fed dog stem from the absence of plant material in the diet. It should, to my mind, make up 1/6 to 1/3 of what is in the dish.

If Spleen deficiency does seem likely to you, then you can team Minor Bupleurum with Yi Yi Ren Tang to help address Dampness and Phlegm, as well as expel Wind Damp from where it might be causing cysts on the dorsum. You could also instead use Xian Fang Huo Ming Yin, if these cysts look substantial and are getting inflamed. You could even use all three together for complete coverage of the issues. Because they all take care of related problems, including two successive levels of pathogen invasion, they are compatible

Hopefully this helps you out!

Steve
by CorinneC
March 6, 2024
Okay, that makes sense (I think ;), so I will start him on XCHT and Yi Yi Ren Tang to see if we can stop this pica madness! Thank you, as always, for your help!

Corinne
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply