Question Details
Dental Tartar
by CorinneC - April 10, 2024
Hi Steve,

I've been wondering for awhile about what to do from a TCVM perspective about dogs with regular tartar build up. I have a little 5yo FS Havenese that needs dentals (often with extractions) every 1-2 years. She builds tartar so easily and her mom works very hard to brush her teeth, feeds a raw diet with lots of veggies, and has actually never vaccinated Isa Jean as she herself is a homeopath. Isa is 100% healthy in every other way! Isa has nicely toned, if not a little wiry, pulses, and a reddish-pink tongue. It makes me think her immune system needs some help - Yin deficiency, ShaoYang disharmony?? I've actually considered trying XCHT with SWT or YGJ but I wonder what you will suggest?

Thanks in advance,
Corinne
Replies
by naturevet
April 27, 2024
Hi Corinne,

I don't know if I have an answer for that beyond the oral health products advocated for tartar. In general, though, a dry mouth will facilitate tartar formation. If the dog pants a lot, then we'd want to figure out why. If the dog has a lot of thirst, then Stomach Heat should be addressed. Maybe with Yi Guan Jian, Zhi Bai Di Huang Wan, or even Halscion. Whatever of those seems to fit the best?

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply