Question Details
Fleas!!!!
by CorinneC - April 10, 2024
Oona is a 3yo FS tortoiseshell who seems to attract fleas every Spring here in Victoria. This boggles my mind as she is raw fed, very fit, and has only had one kitten vaccine (her mom is a human TCM practitioner). 2 years ago I met her for fleas, but she was fat and eating processed food, swollen red tongue, Damp Heat kitty - I put her on SMS and got her on raw and thought I'd seen the last of the dastardly fleas but they have returned annually and the O really doesn't want to use chemicals. We tried diatomaceous earth, some essential oils but the fleas persist. Today she is lean and healthy but has a reddish-pink very shiny moist tongue with subtle crimping along the edges. Pulses are toned.

Please tell me you have some thoughts?!?! I was thinking of bolstering her Wei Qi with some BZYQT but her tongue still screams DAMP!!

Corinne
Replies
by naturevet
April 27, 2024
Hi Corinne,

If she is still having flea allergy dermatitis, but is now on raw, then I would wonder if Xiao Chai Hu Tang is the best choice for her. Cats don't always need the Blood tonifying and moving components of Cessorex, so Xiao Chai Hu Tang might suffice. It fits the toned pulse and the red tongue, and is immune modulating to help reduce systemic immune responses (i.e., hypersensitivity) to fleas. Reduced sensitivity means reduced skin blood flow, which means fewer fleas can be supported by the cat, since blood meals are harder to find.

Hopefully that makes sense! Let us know how it goes!

Steve
by CorinneC
April 29, 2024
Yes, that does make sense Steve. Thanks so much!
Corinne
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply