Question Details
Degenerative Myelopathy In A Dog
by LJH - April 12, 2024    View Case Report
Hi Steve, I am going to see a 13 yr M(N) Shep/lab/husky with what has been diagnosed by the rDVM as degenerative myelopathy and arthritis. The dog has proprioception deficits that started initially in LH but now affecting RH as well, with difficulty getting up and sometimes falling over on hind end. The dog is on a joint and weight control commercial diet and is getting meloxiden and in the last few months minocycline as well.The owner feels the added minocycline has been holding the neurologic deterioration stable. I would like to get him off the commercial food and would be likely to start him on Natural Path XCHT and XHLD with milk thistle or Gold Standard DM formula. Are there any concerns with using the Chinese herbs with minocycline? Owners are on board with anything that may be helpful.
Replies
by LJH
April 12, 2024
Sorry I hit send before I should have. The owners are on board with anything that may be helpful but would like to continue the minocycline unless there is a contraindication. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, Llewanda
by naturevet
April 27, 2024
Hi Llewanda, there would be no contraindications with the minocycline. Remember to evaluate this dog for a simple Wind invasion (e.g., causing spondylosis deformans or spinal stenosis), in which case you'd want to use Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang or Lumbrex.
Xiao Chai Hu Tang may be redundant if you're using DM Formula. You'd be better off bumping up the dose of the DM Formula.
There are home DNA tests available in Canada to diagnose vulnerability to DM. I'd encourage the owner to get one done. If it was negative, then Voltrex, Lumbrex and the like would be more likely to be helpful

Hopefully that helps!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply