Question Details
Allergies In A Dog
by CorinneC - April 15, 2024    View Case Report
Both Marley and her sister Maggie, 5yo FS (only recently spayed last year) Bernese Man dogs, have been struggling with allergies for most of their lives. They both came to me last month as second opinions. Bothe dogs had been on Apoquel for 2 years which eventually lost its effect (O not convinced it ever did much). In the midst of allergy-season last May they were both given their DAP and Rabies vaccines too!!!!

Marley appears to be the worst of the two with incredibly itchy feet (she will chew to bleeding if allowed), will sleep outside in the winter, generalized itch, ear infections, multiple sebaceous cysts all over her dorsal surface and limbs, and anal glands that seem to fill up weekly. Maggie is less intense but did get hospitalized overnight last summer for a lung issue (that was fully worked up at emergency but never diagnosed, she was treated with Theophylline and sent home with Fluticasone to be used prn). Her lungs seem better these last few months. They both have toned pulses, but neither is strongly toned. They also have what I would say is a normal tongue: pink, moist, normal size.

They have both been raw fed since pups except for a period of time when rDVM put them on hypoallergenic food.

I put them on QYT and Cessorex, then added Nettles as I realized this was their peak "itch" season. I see them next week for a recheck and I am wondering about BZYQT for Marley at the very least for her AG issue, and Maggie for her lung issue, but also for both as the allergies started young, seems like a Wei Qi deficient issue?? I have checked in with O and neither has improved...

I really want to help these poor allergic girls! I did put them on Thuja as well for vaccinosis.
Corinne
Replies
by naturevet
April 27, 2024
Hi Corinne,

With a May aggravation, and signs of Dampness like sebaceous cysts and filling anal glands, I'm wondering if these two dogs have Damp Heat, despite eating a fresh food diet. Normally the latter rules out the former, but these two may be the exception that proves the rule.

If you don't feel you saw any improvement, consider trying Si Miao San. Bu Zhong Yi QI Tang is a thought if there is no particular active inflammation at present - maybe just itching and dryness. If they seem much hotter than that,

Hopefully that helps. Let us know how things go!

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply