Question Details
Hearttworm Preventative
by rcvvmd - November 25, 2009
Hello,
IWe recently discussed heartworm preventatives on the VBMA list. A patient I described in a post a few days ago is apparently hypersensitive to Heartguard Plus chewables. I recommended that she try a milbemycin oxime based tablet form preventative instead and see what happens.

I'd like top know if there is an evidence-based herbal heartworm preventative program that is successful. I was also directed to check this one (below). I would love your thoughts on this. To me, this is simply an adjunct at best to using a marketed ivermectin or milbemycin-based product, given the risks. (I am in South FL, it is still in the 80's) Any feedback would be great!

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Robin Valentine

Below: from herb company website...

Bandit's Prevention Program - How It Works for Him - Read carefully so you can understand how the program works.

During the first week of each month [for 7 days]:

He gets one (1) Artemesia first thing in the morning and one (1) in the evening [as close to 12 hours apart as possible] on an empty stomach [as much as possible] so the properties have a chance to kill parasites without having to be blended with a full meal. Most dogs have no problems with this formula on an empty stomach. If your dog does, you can give as much food as necessary with it, but this is a rare necessity. This is like a monthly de-wormer.

He gets one (1) HSII every morning to strengthen the heart since heartworms do damage. If your dog hasn't had heartworms, this doesn't need to be added. [Additional note: For the first year after the herbal heartworm treatment, I used two (2) HSII a day and one CoQ10 to continue to build his heart for the damage that was done.

Given all month long:

Four to five (4-5) days each week [for me it's Monday-Friday], I put Black Walnut in his water and all three of my pets drink from that, so I recommend capsules to others so the amount can be more controlled. If I were using capsules, I would give Bandit 1/4 of a capsule each day on his food.

I've found that most pets like Black Walnut. A little bit of Black Walnut goes a long way, so be sure to adjust this according to weight like the rest of the program.

Another thing to consider is if you are in a climate area that has a winter and a period of time where there are no mosquitos. Vets generally do not tell you to use heartworm medication at that time of the year. I don't bother to use the spritzer at that time of the year, but I still do the herbal program because Black Walnut is such a healthy supplement and the Artemisia keeps him parasite free.

This program has kept my dog worm free for three annual checkups after he had heartworms and I used thenatural heartworm program rather than the chemical treatment. Please use wisdom and common sense in deciding whether the natural approach is for you and your pet family. Since the herbal way is less expensive than the drugs, please be sure you make the investment to have your dog tested annually.
Replies
by naturevet
November 26, 2009
Hi Robin,

I don't think there is an evidence-based approach to heartworm. The formula I listed in the Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine worked for the dogs I tried it on, but I don't think as well as the drugs. If we need to worry about heartworm prevention, we use the drugs. We do cite a study on injectable ginger in that manual as having been effective in heartworm prevention, but good luck trying to find injectable ginger...

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply