Question Details
Bulk Dried Herbs
by rcvvmd - November 29, 2009
General Question: I have found 2 natural foods stores that sell dried medicinal (and other) herbs in bulk - a huge variety. Some are a powdered form (slippery elm), others are a bit course and straw-like (comfrey, angelica, skullcap..).

Is there a meaningful way for me to make use of these, medicinally since they are not processed or 'granul-ized'? Or, are they too weak and would need to be taken as a '
full meal' to have effect?

Thank you!
Robin Valentine
Replies
by naturevet
November 29, 2009
Hi Robin,

Herbivores and humans can often make decent use of ground dried herbs. Small carnivores (dogs, cats) often cannot, due to their short digestive tracts. In the case of slippery elm, where the active ingredients are not absorbed but act at the mucosa, there's no issue. But where you're looking for absorption and pharmacological effects internally, they're not as effective for small animal medical needs.

In China, ground dried herbs aren't used because it is believed the act of cooking activates the ingredients and creates the Qi of the formula. Granular extracts and decoctions are the forms consumed in China. Certainly granular extracts result in a powder that has five times the potency of bulk dried herbs. Our granules are closer to ten times more powerful, due to their high density.

I hope that answers your question. It's a good one to ask,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply