Question Details
GI Issues/Damp/BL &Yin Def
by TraceyH - November 29, 2009
Just saw a 10 yr old lab who was treated 8 weeks ago for weight loss and persistent diarrhea and vomiting (both Damp or Damp Heat in character). She had an abd. US in July showing mild liver enlargement (fatty), mild bile sludging, focal area of thickened stomach and splenic nodules. She has done well since this time after being switched to canned food but now she is too thin (was a classic SP deficient/Damp Lab before - obese, lipomas, loose stool, DJD) and has prominent signs of Blood and Yin Deficiency (thin body condition, dry skin and hair, normochromic anemia, low T4, normal TSH, mild AlkPH and ALT, elevations, slightly cold extremities).

She had a bad relapse of vomiting (mucousy) and diarrhea (very foul with undigested food) 5 days ago that has responded well to Western anti-emtics and anti-diarrheals.

Her pulse is weak, slightly thin, deep and slippery, her tongue is mildly lavender centrally, dry and a bit flaccid.

Although the switch away from dry kibble has helped, she obviously still has some SP Qi deficiency with prominent Blood and Yin deficiency now and secondary stagnation.

I'm trying to decide between Dang Gui Shao Yao San (but not sure it will adequately address the SP/Dampness issues and Yin def.) or a combo like Rehmannia 6 and SRT..or maybe Xiao Yao San??

What would you suggest?

thanks,
Tracey
Replies
by naturevet
November 29, 2009
Hi Tracey,

I like your ideas, and wondered about DGSYS myself, and even fleetingly about XYS. What made me pause was the intensity of the GI symptoms. That would make me want to make sure the formula I was using had a reputation for dealing with colitis as well as address the Blood deficiency you're seeing. There aren't many that do that. If the dog is chilly, then a homeopathic that may help is Arsenicum album.

Otherwise, if the dog responds well to the cold drugs like metronidazole, then my temptation would be to use Si Miao San (which is itself quite drying), but then add Dang Gui (about 20g per 100g of SMS). This combination has worked for me in cases just like yours, and covers all your bases. So it would be my first pick.

Hope that helps,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply