Question Details
Weight Loss Herbs?
by rcvvmd - November 30, 2009
Perhaps an obscure question, but very relevant to practice, especially with Slentrol on the market now. I have a plethora of patients that need to lose weight - a lot. In addiotion to diet changes and exercise, are there herbs that help the chronically overweight body let go of / mobilize that excess energy that's been stored efficiently as fat?

Happy Holidays and thanks for the bulk herbs answers!
Robin Valentine
Replies
by naturevet
November 30, 2009
Hi Robin,

For cold patients, formulas that contain Ephedra (Ma Huang) still work. They should be avoided in hot patients.

Most overweight patients have a degree of metabolic syndrome, IMO. So processed diets, especially those that are grain-based, will never provide optimal results in weight loss, given how much they aggravate metabolic syndrome. Home-cooked or raw is the only way I know of to get pounds off animals, and is often all that is needed.

Of the formulas that promote insulin sensitivity and counter metabolic syndrome, Si Miao San has perhaps the strongest activity. San Ren Tang has milder effects in this arena, more suited for patients that are only slightly hot. Between the three, cold, hot, and in-between, you have most patients covered.

Steve
by amymatthews
November 30, 2009
As a dietary 2 cents from the trenches: For those clients who won't do home-cooked or raw, Royal Canin makes a high protein, low calorie diet that has had good success in my hands with those patients who don't lose weight on typical low calorie foods.

Glad to know that herbs can help us out with this problem, too!

Amy
by carolgifford
December 6, 2009
Another Trench 2-cents:
I have had very good luck with grain-free kibble diets for owners who won't do raw/homecooked and pets who are cool or on the cooler side. Goes along with the Metabolic Syndrome theory....
Good luck,
Carol
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply