Question Details
Rubenal
by JULIE SCHELL - November 30, 2009
Hello!
What do you all think about Rubenal- its Vetquinol's Chinese rhubarb supplement meant for patients in chronic renal failure. check out www.vetoquinol.ca and http://veto.naccvp.com/index.php?u=country&p=msds&mainframe=prodindex.php%3Fquery%3Drubenal

Thank you!
Julie
Replies
by naturevet
November 30, 2009
Hi Julie,

It will be good to hear what others have to say about this product. I tried Rhubarb back fifteen years ago when the research was first done suggesting a benefit in renal failure, but I never saw it work. Perhaps this new-fangled version will work better, but one generalization I can make is that if the whole herb extract wouldn't be suited from a Chinese medical perspective to the patient, then a standardized extract will similarly be unrewarding. For many CRF patients, Rhubarb possesses exactly the wrong energetic (cold and purgative vs. the tonification that is often needed). I would speculate if it would help any of our patients, it would be the ones that we use XCHT or SRT in.

Hopefully there will be some other input on your question, instead of my usual pontification.

Steve
by JULIE SCHELL
November 30, 2009
Thank you Steve. I agree! I find that it a bit frightening when drug companies that have little knowledege of TCVM recommend single herb generalizations without a proper TCVM work up. Its a total Western perspective. Not all chronic kidney failure patient have the same TCVM diagnosis! Will be interesting if Rubenal catches on, and to see how animals respond if it does. Julie
by mikemesley
December 2, 2009
Similar to k/d or other low protein renal diets in both the cases that it might help - as well as the tendency to blanket treat all animals with CRF with it. Basically, if anything shows any efficacy against CRF then vets will jump on it as there are so few things that actually do anything. so if it helps a fraction of the population of animals with CRF - then it will still fare well on clinical trials I presume.
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply