Question Details
RH Lameness
by Lauren Chattigre - November 30, 2009
Ginger is a 9yr FS aussie cattle dog with RH lameness since July that started a couple days after her rabies vaccine. She has been examined by an orthopedic surgeon (who noted moderate R thigh muscle atrophy, pain on extension of R hip, and pain with hyperextension of L-S jxn) and received full rads of lower spine, pelvis, and stifle which were normal. I found pain on extension of R hip as well, though her stifle and L-S jxn moved a bit at the same time; crepitus was heard from either the hip or stifle. She was also a bit twitchy at T-L jxn. She did seem a bit better after acupuncture, and retained GB29. I'm wondering what herbs would be good to try for possible hip or sciatica issues in her case; tongue and pulses were normal. Other issues she has include diabetes (pu/pd under control with vetsulin) and hepatomegaly. With the muscle atrophy and hip pain I was wondering about Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang. Some days she doesn't appear to have any lameness and other days she's quite lame; no pattern other than that perhaps she's worse after laying down and seems to warm out of it. Is there a better choice? Thanks!
Replies
by Lauren Chattigre
November 30, 2009
Also considering Du Huo Ji Sheng Tang since she seems to warm out of it, and she's an older dog; might also help with her diabetes. (She also had cataracts; surgery done.)
by naturevet
November 30, 2009
Hi Lauren,

Myself, I would try Xiao Chai Hu Tang (with even some Qin Jiao added) for this dog. This formula, also known as Minor Bupleurum, contains Ginseng, which we've noted to be quite helpful in diabetes in dogs (but not especially in cats). It also opens the GB channel which traverses the hip region. It's a moving formula, and we know the dog has Stasis, because it is better with movement. It addresses muscle atrophy, primarily because localized muscle atrophy is often a problem with channel Qi and Blood flow, rather that Spleen or Kidney deficiency. In humans, the main channels delivering Qi and Blood to the limbs are the Yang Ming channels (ST, LI). Using thermography, it's quite clear that in dogs, and maybe most quadripeds, it's the Shao Yang channels (GB, TB). So just opening the GB channel using XCHT maybe enough to reverse that atrophy, eliminate the pain, and restore mobility. It's what I'd try. For years, I tried Shen Tong Zhu Yu Tang, but found it unrewarding. It's more helpful for the forelimbs and neck, and where there is both Blood stasis and Wind invasion.

Good luck with your case!

Steve
by Lauren Chattigre
December 1, 2009
Thank you so much!!
by Lauren Chattigre
December 1, 2009
Oh, how much qin jiao would I add to a 100g bottle of Xiao Chai Hu Tang?
by naturevet
December 1, 2009
About 15 to 18g of the granular extract per 100g of XCHT should work well.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply