Question Details
HSA Management
by landauvet - December 1, 2009
Hi Steve,

I have been managing an Aussie 11 MC for the last 4 1/2 months who had a ruptured splenic HSA. Surgery to remove the spleen was in July. After surgery, about 10 days later, the dog collapsed and was pale again. They saw another mass/hematoma where the spleen had been on ultrasound. The dog was given a horrible prognosis and has been largely asymptomatic ever since.
I acupunctured this dog initially to stop hemorrhage and supported him with DGSYS, BYHWT, Bilberry, Vit. A and D3 following your protocol.
When I rechecked him yesterday his pulse was deep and full, tongue swollen with a purple base and underside. Points did not jump out at me at all(deficiency).
He has developed a lot of warts and lipomas in the last few months. He has had occaisional evening pants which are unusual for him. He has lost a little weight and generally looks a bit older from all of the excitement of the last half year. Meanwhile, he goes on long romps and shows no exercise intolerance.
I am still seeing signs of stasis and blood and maybe yin deficiency. I was considering rolling in a little ZBDHW. Do you have any suggestions?
There is that little voice that says leave this alone, he is doing fine...and that other voice that wants to improve things a tad.

Kevin
Replies
by naturevet
December 1, 2009
Hi Kevin,

I just saw case this morning where I didn't do my usual protocol, but instead used Xiao Chai Hu Tang (with some Huang Qi added for hemostasis and immune enhancement). I chose the formula because of the benefit of GB 24 and 25 on the pulse. The dog had many traits just like your patient - acute collapse with exercise; purplish tongue; deep tight pulse; and heat symptoms and intolerances.

So I'd look at XCHT as a formula to roll into your protocol. I'm surprised you didn't come up with that one yourself, Captain Bupleurum! Remeber we speculate that XCHT can activate or enhance efficacy of other formulas in treating lymphoma and blood stasis tumors like hemangiosarcoma.

Good luck,

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply