Question Details
Hypoallergenic Diets: Commercial
by rcvvmd - December 1, 2009
I have a few patients that are screaming 'Food Allergy', and parents are not going to home-prepare a diet (nor am I confident to make one up).

What are your favorite commercial 'hypoallergenic' diets to try as a trial period?
Everyone, chime in!

Thanks!
Robin Valentine
Replies
by naturevet
December 1, 2009
Hi Robin,

Hopefully others will weigh in here. For me personally, I don't use commercial hypoallergenic diets. I tell the owner what we're targeting, then if they want to seek out a processed food that avoids that ingredient, they do it, provided the diet they come up with also avoids excessive starch or carbohydrate levels.

Many of my clients simply apply the broad guidelines in Manual of Natural Veterinary Medicine (paleolithic diet; home-cooked diet appendix), and then decide what protein source they're going to use.

I know that wasn't what you wanted to hear, but just in case this is helpful...

Steve
by mikemesley
December 2, 2009
I have the same problem a lot with my clients. It appears they are too busy to actually "do" anything to help their animals - they want a fix at all costs.

My approach has been to put them on z/d ultra (Hills) but on the proviso that when it doesn't work, they'll give my home cooked diet a go. This has worked on occasion (not the z/d - just the approach to getting them to start on the paleolithic or hypo-allergenic diet from MNVM!).
Mike
by amymatthews
December 2, 2009
Hi Robin!

Nice to see you here!

I have a whole list I give to owners when they don't get the homemade diet sheet. Natural Balance (venison, duck, fish?) and Wellness Simple (venison and something else) tend to be my favorites, because they made a deliberate effort to keep it simple. There are quite a few fish-based diets out there. Iams still has the kangaroo diet (KO) I think, though it's tricky enough to get that owners never opt for it (at least not yet).

Good luck!

Amy Matthews
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply