Question Details
Ventricular Septal Defect In A Kitten
by landauvet - December 2, 2009
Hi Steve,
A client who rescued a 9 week old kitten asked me for help yesterday. The Kitty was ultrasounded and a small VSD was found as well as right ventricular hypertrophy. She passes out when she runs hard or is turned upside down. She also seems to breath hard at rest. She is otherwise quite inquisitive and friendly and active. No cough. Tongue is pale and lavender. Pulse is thin and weak. She was a complete wiggler and point evaluation was difficult.
In the past, I have used Ling Gui Zhu Gan Tang, but that seems more for draining fluid and phlegm. This kitty has little of that and seems deficient in Qi and possibly Triple burner obstructed (a job for captain Bupleurum!).

I also carry a Hawthorn extract which seems appropriate as well as feline cardiac support by SP.
Which formula would you recommend?
Kevin
Replies
by naturevet
December 3, 2009
Hi Kevin,

I'm generally a fan of any cardiac support supplements. They are mild and more like nutrients, and so do not generally get in the way of whatever herbal formula might be selected. As for a formula, I'd start with Xue Fu Zhu Yu Tang here. We've had it work well for other cardiac defects (e.g. PDA), and it fits the weak pulse and purple tongue. Anything we can do to shunt this kitten's blood peripherally (reduce preload and afterload) would seem to be advisable, and XFZYT excels at that. XCHT does, too. So whatever inspires you. But I think the hemodynamic effect is more pronouced with XFZYT.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply