Question Details
Severe LP Stomatitis
by dr. rita - December 6, 2009
Good morning,

I am trying to make sure that my thought process is correct and that my follow up plan makes sense. Thank you for your help.

"Tinker" is a 14 1/2 yo DSH cat. Hx: perineal urethrosomy in 1996 b/c of FLUTD, diabetes mellitus in 2006. (SP Qi Def leading to Damp Heat and Yin Def).

When I first saw him, he was experiencing a diabetic neuropathy which resolved when we got his diabetes better controled (via proper insulin dosages and changing his diet to a low carb)

While fine tuning his insulin, he began to lose weight again, was PU/PD again, was dehydrated, and the gingiva was increasingly eryth. As we altered his insulin and used Ab'tics (Orbax), he seemed to improve but not resolve. There was +++heat over his head region. His pulse was a dark/ruddy color and his pulse thin and tight.

A dental with extractions ensued and biopsies said lymphocytic plasmacytic stomatitis. Within a week of the dental, he worsened and was very painful. He began to lose weight again b/c he was not eating.

I used Prednisolone b/c (I have to confess, I knew it would work, and it came down to a do or die situation). But now I want to get him off the Pred, as the Pred is (big surprise), affecting his bg levels.

In retrospect, I think I should have used Hoxsey-Like formula immediately after the dental but I hesitated b/c I wasn't sure if the dental alone would have been enough to help with the problem. And then when everything fell apart, I should have used the Hoxsey, but didn't b/c I didn't have the confidence. So here we are... At present, his tongue is now red, his pulse is still toned/firm, his coat has greasy/large flakes and he is Pu/Pd again (his bg is back up to 22.1 mmol/l). So he is still has a lot of Damp Heat. But his mouth looks great and he is far more comfortable!

I have decreased his Prednisolone to 5 mg EOD and increased his Glargine. If we introduce herbs at this point, should the emphasis be on tonifying or clearing heat (or even draining Damp)? I am thinking that ZBDHW is a good choice. (do you think so, too?) How would you introduce it while getting him off the Pred? not to mention altering his insulin...

Many things that I would have done differently, but I would like to learn from this case. I just want him off the Pred because in the near future I think I will make him globally deficient. Thank you on behalf of a really sweet elderly man who adores his old adorable cat. (and me)

Rita
Replies
by dr. rita
December 6, 2009
...hey, I should proof read my query better next time....the elderly gentleman adores his cat, not me (although I'd like to think he does like me a bit). I meant to say that I say thank you, too.

Rita
by naturevet
December 6, 2009
Hi Rita,

I agree with your formula choice. You're walking a fine line with this cat between Damp Heat and Yin deficiency. ZBDHW is well suited to such cases. It may always have been the right choice for this cat.

If you're still reliant on steroid therapy, intermittent low dose depomedrol injections may reduce the stress on insulin levels, so I'm told.

Good luck and let me know how it goes, but expect this to be an improvement that manifests over several weeks.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply