Question Details
Skin Inflammation In A Sheltie
by landauvet - December 6, 2009
Hi Steve,

I am seeing a 10 year old Sheltie with both a dorsally located crusty dermatitis and a ventrally locared red, edematous dermatitis for the last oh, 6 months. She used to have very elevated triglycerides and cholesterol as well, but these have responded great to herbs and acupuncture 9srt and SMS mostly). The skin however, has been more difficult for me.
He has historically had a strong, slippery pulse with Damp heat points most noticeable and treated as such. SMS and SRT were the main formulas used. He has also been on a dose of prednisone which correlates to about 0.18 mg/kg BID for the last few weeks.
Last week I saw this dog again. The inflammation to the belly was smoldering. Warm, puffy, red skin. There were also areas of crusty dry patches with large flakes peeling off the skin. These were only slightly red and very superficial. He also had a clear, white ocular discharge bilaterally.
Pulse was again superficial, forceful and slippery. Tongue: thin pink purple. Sedating BL-40 improved his pulse most. I went ahead and treated BL-40, ST-36 (sedate), BL-18, and SP-6 (sedate)

So, I believe I am looking a formula which dispels pathogens from the tai yang and drains heat.
Does SRT fit the bill being an aromatic formula? Or would you consider another formula for wind pathogens since he is already on SRT? Does the eye discharge correlate to dampness?

I thank you for all of your help!!

Kevin

Replies
by naturevet
December 6, 2009
Hi Kevin,

It seems you're on the right track, but that your treatment lacks adequate punch. This is where I'd be tempted in trying Long Dan Xie Gan Tang, in addition to what you're doing already, or else combining it essentially into one formula (aka modified LDXGT, or Long Dan Er Miao San (Kan)).

It should give you the extra drying draining and cooling influence you seek, but has several Wind expellers in it as well.

Hope that helps you out.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply