Question Details
Diabetes Mellitus And Pancreatitis
by fsbaron76@yahoo.com - December 6, 2009
I have been treating a 12 year old cat for diabetes mellitus and pancreatitis for the past 6+ years. We have controlled the diabetes symptoms with Lantus and the pancreatitis with differing antibiotics when needed. Now I am fighting weight loss: BCS of about 2.5. This cat weighed 8.5 pounds 2 years ago, and about 5.0 pounds today. This cat has also been given Pancreatic enzymes for the past 6 months. His tongue is pale and wet. His pulse is thready but moderate in strength. He prefers a warm environment when at home. There is generalized muscle wasting with an enlarged pendulous abdomen. Polydipsia, polyuria is controlled. Diarrhea can be a problem, but is controlled w/ antibiotics. His recent appetite remains very good. He is fed Purina DM canned. I believe his weight loss and damp symptoms are related to Spleen Qi deficiency and Kidney Yang deficiency problems. I am treating mostly w/ accupuncture points BL 20,21,22,23, and ST 36, which helps most symptoms but the weight loss. The owner has liked the results w/ accupuncture treatments in the past year, but I am looking an herbal supplement that might help counteract this emaciation problem. This guy is fast running out of time with my current treatment. Owner can use rice papers to give herbs by mouth. Ideas?
Replies
by naturevet
December 6, 2009
Hi there,

Your assessment sounds bang on, especially if you're getting good results with your acupuncture. A formula that embodies what you've been doing and suspecting is Wei Ling Tang (Harmonize the Stomach with Five Herbs and Poria Combination). From a western point of view it regulates peristalsis and improves mucosal blood flow to enhance absorption. It also has been shown to reduce pancreatitis tendencies in cats. Is the pendulous abdomen due to ascites (due to low albumin levels)? If so, WLT will help with its gentle diuretic effect, although this will not be strong enough to create polyuria or incontinence issues.

Given everything you've seen and everything WLT does, it's the first thing I'd try.

Steve
Reply to this question.
You must be logged in to reply